Personal hotspot AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tl01, Jun 15, 2013.

1. tl01 macrumors 65816

So, after the last carier setting update on AT&T... Some people reported being able to use their personal hotspot even on the unlimited plan. When I go to set it up... The "set up etsonal hotspot" is not greyed out. Does that mean I can try to set it up... Or is it always that way? If I do try, will they get rid of my unlimited plan?
    Thanks!

2. awesomest47 macrumors member

AT&T still will charge you for hotspot but it won't get rid of your data plan. Only an additional charge will be added to your bill. The personal hotspot box really should be greyed out... when you tap it does the iPhone prompt you to call AT&T customer service to set up hotspot? I have iOS 6.1.3 and mine does.

3. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

I hadn't clicked on it before I posted as I didn't want to lose my unlimited. I did click on it and it tells me to call in or go to the website. Do you know how much it costs to set up?
    We have a trip coming up and it might be very useful for that month. I have a hotspot with 4 gb on my iPad... But we go through data very quickly.

Do you have to pick a separate data allocation for the AT&T hotspot or does it just use the unlimited data?

4. Brad02 macrumors regular

You can't just add the hot spot option. You will need to change to the 5GB tethering plan or one of the shared plans. Unless they have changed something recently these are your only 2 options. I would just pay for extra data on your iPad and keep your unlimited plan.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, like said above.
    If you want to add official tethering to your account you will have to switch plans and you will lose your unlimited data plan for good.