iPhone Personal Hotspot auto connect

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by nlrela, Mar 25, 2015.

1. nlrela macrumors newbie

I am using Personal Hotspot quite often in my car, but don’t get why it doesn’t auto connect….

I first have to go to the “Settings – Personal Hotspot” menu before devices do connect.
    Otherwise the devices don’t connect, no matter whether Personal Hotspot is switched on.

How can I get the devices connect automatically without switching to the settings menu every time?
    Switching on “Personal Hotspot” should be enough, shouldn’t it?

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

If you're trying to connect an iPad make sure you have the same iCloud login setup on both devices. I leave hotspot turned off. When I want to connect, I open wi-fi on my iPad and click on my phone name. It will activate hotspot and complete the connection without asking for a password. This is what I took to be auto connect. I have not in the past had my iPad connect to my hotspot without doing something manual.

3. Rhonindk, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015

Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Sorry, no. This hasn't worked with my 5S nor my current 6+. Interestingly, while driving, my wife's iPad4 will auto-connect with her HTC One.
    I'm not sure if this is just that iDevice's see other iDevice hot spots as something other than "standard" wifi. :confused:

4. nlrela thread starter macrumors newbie

Want to connect a non Apple device to the IOS Personal Hotspot and it doesn't auto connect as I described ....