Personal Hotspot connect question

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by str0ppy, Jun 12, 2019.

1. str0ppy macrumors member

i have no problem tethering my iPad Pro 9.7 to my 6s Plus, but for the iPad to see the phone in the WiFi settings, I need to open the Personal Hotspot settings on the iPhone. When I’m in that setting the phone name pops straight up and I can connect, but not before that.

Is this expected behaviour?

Thanks.

2. cynics macrumors G4

So I'm assuming that you also mean if you don't goto personal hotspot settings on the iPhone the iPad will not see the iPhone?

The instant hotspot feature should see your iPhone without touching your iPhone from your iPad. You will need to be signed into the same iCloud with bluetooth and wifi on both devices. The iPhone will need a cellular data connection.

The mere act of going to the personal hotspot section in the settings shouldn't be doing anything. However sometimes it does take a few seconds for the iPad/Mac to see the iPhone.

First thing I would try is to reset both devices. Unlock the iPhone once so the passcode isn't required. Relock it and then check wifi in the iPad, be patient for the iPhone to pop up. I use my 6S for a hotspot for my MacBook without taking it out of my pocket daily.