Personal Hotspot - Connection Timeout

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by redshovel, Oct 14, 2011.

1. redshovel macrumors 6502

Nov 19, 2007
    Ok so personal hotspot worked every time with iPhone 4 on iOS4 and MBP on Lion.
    Now iPhone 4 is upgraded to iOS5 and my MBP has been swapped for a new MBA 13''. The Air connects no problem to home wifi and other hotspots i.e. starbucks but I cannot use the Personal Hotspot on the iPhone via the Air......connection time out EVERY time.
    However it works between the iPhone and iPad I have. :confused:
    Can anyone shed light on this and a possible solution .....searched for ages but can find any workarounds at all.:mad:
  2. redshovel thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 19, 2007
    Hotspot works fine over USB cable.
    Has anyone got a clue what could be wrong....doing my head in this problem :confused:
  3. redshovel thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 19, 2007
    Am I the only person win the world with this problem
    Is it something to do with the iPhone or Air???
    Even knowing that would be a start
  4. roozbeh macrumors newbie

Mar 23, 2010
    Same Here

I am having the same problem here but only recently and I have no idea what started it. I could use the Personal Hotspot over wifi very easily, but then it stopped working by always giving "connection timeout" errors on the other end.

I searched the web but could not find a solution yet. Any news on this?
  5. rtw5 macrumors newbie

Feb 3, 2010
    I had the same problem with personal hotspot wifi not connecting to my mbpro (connection timeout) as it previously used to. The suggested solution I came across that worked for me was to reset network settings on my iphone. I didn't think it would work, but it did.

Settings --> General --> Rest --> Reset Network Settings.

No idea why it worked, and on other threads it didn't work for everyone.