iPhone Personal hotspot help

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Frogmanjim, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Frogmanjim macrumors newbie

Apologies, I am new to jailbreaking and would like some advice from anyone that can help.

I purchased and installed tetherme but cannot use the personal hotspot feature. I have an iPhone 4 on the tesco network. I believe Tesco do not natively support tethering, I do not have the personal hotspot feature under settings, but read somewhere, quite possibly incorrectly, that tetherme could get round this as it masks the feature from the network provider. When I enable it under tetherme it says 'to enable personal hotspot please contact tesco'

Can I get round this at all?

Many thanks in advance

James

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If you are tethering, there is no way to mask it from your carrier even using the several available Cydia apps.

And if you use the feature alot, you have a risk of your carrier taking action at some point.

3. Frogmanjim thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply dhlizard.

I would only use it very occassionally for work purposes to connect my laptop while I'm out and about.

Regarding the lack of native personal hotspot feature within settings how can I overcome this? The phone is locked to Tesco at the moment so if I unlock it will the option appear? If so, whats my best unlocking option?

Sorry for all the questions.

Many Thanks

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

5. Frogmanjim thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh, so tetherme relies on the personal hotspot feature to be available under settings, but MyWi does not require this?

6. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

correct
    PDAnet is another

7. bigalow macrumors member

So what is the point of the "Hide Tether" option in the PdaNet app? Seems odd having that toggle option of it doesn't serve a purpose.

8. Frogmanjim thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers. If only I hadn't 'upgraded' to IOS6 prior to discovering Jailbreaking! MyWi and PDAnet not IOS 6 compatible :(

9. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

not yet, they will be in time

10. bigalow, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012

bigalow macrumors member

anyone have any idea? thanks

edit: not trying to hijack a thread but it seemed odd to start a new thread to ask this question when the topic was already brought up.

11. knowash macrumors newbie

I am facing a similar problem but my phone is now unlocked.. it was earlier with at&t but once my contract was over i was able to get it unlocked... after that i upgraded to IO6 and then did a tethered jailbreak... after that i switched to a connection from straighttalk.. and installed tetherme app... but when i click on the personal hotspot option i still get a pop that asks me to contact at&t... on several articles on the net, i found that tetherme is working on IOS6.. please help...

12. knowash macrumors newbie

Latest update of tetherme solved the problem.. I am able to use the personal hotspot on jailbroken iPhone with iOS 6 now

13. Frogmanjim thread starter macrumors newbie

Tesco Unlocked my iphone, updated tetherme, and success! :)

14. VSing macrumors newbie

Still not working on iPhone 4

I got the latest version of Tetherme and it still does not work. I am trying to connect my iPad 2 to my phone's 3G. It used to work before ios6, but now hot spot is on, but iPad can't see it. iPad has never been jail broken. :(

15. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

This may sound like a silly question , but what's the difference with using an app like tether me over the standard iOS hotspot feature?