Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gottafly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2008
Please share your experiences, both positive and negative.

Connecting my iPad Air to my iPhone 6 for Hotspot access has been hit-or-miss, at best.

I am referring more specifically to the phone being in sleep mode with Hotspot turned on, and trying to link the Air to it without waking the phone. I'm 99% sure that is how it is designed to work, but no joy here.

Ultimately, I end up having to wake the phone and be on the Hotspot screen for it to connect.

iOS 8 running on both.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its worked well for me, always have. IT doesn't matter if I'm connecting my Mac using USB for the network connection or wifi when the Mac is running windows. iphone to ipad hotspot works seamless and without any problems.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Hotspot works for me if i try to connect a pc or a non apple product As soon as try to connect a ipad,iphone or ipod touch it won't work at all...

ttmrn

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2014
tx
Are we talking about the continuity feature?

Personal Hotspot? or Instant Hotspot?

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
I find that it reliably connects-eventually. Definitely doesn't always "just work." I'm tethering to a Nexus 7, if that matters.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I may be buying the next iPad and the Instant Hotspot feature looks interesting to me.

So I could have hotspot on on my iPhone (in my pocket), and when I start using my iPad it'll automatically connect to my iPhone's hotspot and disconnect when I'm done with the iPad?

How is it in real-life use?

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
It's been a Godsend for me using my iPhone as a hotspot w/iPad but I do find it to be a bit finicky when trying to establish a connection at times. Never really took the time to troubleshoot and get to the bottom of the issue but I always end up making the connection. Sometimes I fight with it other times it just works.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I've definitely had to do some fiddling at times to get my hotspot to show up on the device I'm trying to connect, whether it be an iPad or a Windows laptop. Running latest OS at all times. It works, but I think we are a few patches away from a "just works" solution.

ttmrn

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2014
tx
Not continuity, Hotspot (Personal Hotspot on menu, aka Instant Hotspot).

er.. i thought Instant Hotspot was the continuity feature.

Since both are running on iOS8, why don't u use the Instant Hotspot feature?
Then u wouldnt need to have the Personal Hotspot running all the time (and try to reconnect when ur iPhone is on sleep mode).

https://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/continuity/
see right below

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
I am referring more specifically to the phone being in sleep mode with Hotspot turned on, and trying to link the Air to it without waking the phone. I'm 99% sure that is how it is designed to work, but no joy here.

The phone will, of course, not have anyone connect to it if it has gone to sleep.

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Please share your experiences, both positive and negative.

Connecting my iPad Air to my iPhone 6 for Hotspot access has been hit-or-miss, at best.

Ultimately, I end up having to wake the phone and be on the Hotspot screen for it to connect.

iOS 8 running on both.

Yep, that's how it is. Apple doesn't care. That's why I simply bought a dedicated hotspot and now always have WiFi with me, just like from a router - it's always on. This, instant connectivity, and not having to worry about iPhone dying in an hour of hotspotting, is worth carrying an extra device in my bag or pocket. If :apple: doesn't care about us, we don't care about :apple:. :rolleyes:

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
So I'm testing out Instant Hotspot on iOS 8.1 on my iPad. It's a cellular iPad but I want to see if I can live with a Wifi-only iPad in the future. I turned off Cellular Data and connected it to my phone. Working a little better so far, but I have some questions:

• Is it supposed to connect automatically when I start browsing, or do I need to pick my iPhone in the Wifi settings every time>
  • When I get to a place where Wifi is available, shouldn't it connect to Wifi automatically? It hasn't so far.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
Is there any way to manually disconnect it without turning off wifi. Half my subway ride has service, and when I loose it my iPad stays connected to the phone.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
It is one of the major reasons I still jb my phone (besides Activator). I use TetherMe on my i5, and it always works out for me when I need to connect my iPad (I have a cellular Air, but only the Tmo 250mb plan on it). I usually have to open the hotspot screen though because, sometimes, it doesn't automatically connect, but I usually turn the hotspot feature off when I'm done using it.

Only other device I could think of using it with is my MacBook, and it works out just the same. Definitely a great convenience on those occasions when out and about. Sent from my iPad.

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
How well does the instant hotspot feature on ios 8.1 work when connecting to an iPad? Does it connect automatically ?

I want to know before I decide to get a cellular iPad

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
With the free bump I got from 10GB to 20GB on ATT, it is a HUGE hit between my rMBP and iPhone.

I finally feel like I have some room to spare when I take my laptop on the road and start surfing heavy through the hotspot.

No longer compromising use to look for a public WiFi hotspot, and as far as I know, it's much more secure anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.