iPhone Personal Hotspot now working on Orange UK (Everything Everywhere) since iOS6 install

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by chriscl, Sep 19, 2012.

1. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

As per thread title - I updated to iOS6 tonight (I'm on Orange in the UK, part of Everything Everywhere).

As I was looking through all the menus, I - for some reason - went in to "Personal Hotspot" and tried to switch it on.

Orange in the UK charge an extra £5 a month for this, which I've never wanted to pay simply because I don't think I'll use the Hotspot enough.

However, I was able to enable the Hotspot, and then verify I could connect to it - and use it - from my Mac.

This is very odd, as previously any attempt to enable the Hotspot would pop up an Orange message box, saying this was an additional option and to call them - now, it seems to "just work".

Not sure if this is iOS6 or the additional "Carrier" update that also came over tonight? Anyone else on Orange who doesn't/didn't have Hotspot enabled want to give this a try?

2. PJ. macrumors regular

Briefly after my network at the top changed to EE but then went back.

PJ.

3. Bez59 macrumors regular

I'm not on orange but i am on o2.

I have never been able to get personal hotspot working even after many online chats and calls to o2 even tho it is part of my data bolt on but it works fine now i have installed ios6.

4. lucay macrumors newbie

I'm on Orange and it worked for me too.... which was nice. Going to be nervously checking the phone bill though to see if they just automatically add the charge now.

However, I was one of the sheep who upgraded his wife's phone to the IPhone 5 last Friday. The new contract did say Internet + Tethering without me asking for it.

Previously, I thought Orange only did tethering for business user.

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I seen this under the data part of my "youraccount" Inclusive 1GB internet browsing and tethering

6. robbolevens macrumors newbie

Be Careful

I look after a fleet of iPhones and one of my users found that she could activate the tethering. We have 500mb bundles on our phones. She used 2GB and we got billed nearly £2000. Orange will not back down and we had to pay it.

7. Ste Nova macrumors 6502

you use the product you pay the bill :D