Personal hotspot - permanently on

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kachung, Sep 29, 2012.

1. kachung macrumors newbie

Hi

Does anyone keep the personal hotspot permanently on? I want to turn it on always, so that my Android tablet can tether to my iphone 5 automatically. However, it seems that even without any connection, just turning on the hotspot feature the battery will die very quickly, eg 1% per 3-5 mins. Why? In the past I was using a galaxy nexus android phone, which does not draw any extra battery even with tethering turn on with no active connection.

2. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

I have it permanently 'on' but it isn't actually active unless there's a connection or you're in the 'personal hotspot' menu (which activates the feature and makes it discoverable so other devices can connect.)

So unless you have something connected permanently as well, it doesn't use battery this way.

3. kachung thread starter macrumors newbie

I see. I am new to personal hotspot so I am a bit clueness. Just to confirm, what you mean is that as long as there no active connection, turning on personal hotspot should not result in addirional battery use? Also I need to make sure that the hotspot setting page is not on the foreground?

Thanks for your help.

4. anonnymouse macrumors regular

Personal Hotspot automatically shuts itself off after five minutes of non-use. You must go back to the Personal Hotspot menu and toggle it OFF then back ON for it to "wake back up" if you will.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4517

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    If it keeps broadcasting signal as a router it will eat up additional energy/battery.
    Your android phone did use up battery too to keep acting as a hotspot even though you claim it didn't use any battery at all.

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

i don't see where it says that in that kb article. I must be blind...

7. Salk90 macrumors newbie

Salk90

Actually, you don't really have to toggle it off and on, you just need to open the hotspot menu and it will automatically operate.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Thank you for resurrecting a five year old thread about the iPhone 5 hotspot on iOS 6 to tell us all about this in the age of the iPhone 7/7+ and iOS 10.

Good job sir! You will go far on MacRumors! :(

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You are responding to a post that is 4.5 years old. I doubt he or she is still waiting for an answer for an outdated OS.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced