Personal hotspot pricing? (On Verizon)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LucidPsychosis, Feb 3, 2011.

1. LucidPsychosis macrumors regular

I can't remember if Verizon and/or Apple have announced price points, if any will even exist for the iPhone's new personal hotspot function, but if they haven't, care to speculate?

The hotspot feature on my Droid 2 costs an additional $20 a month and caps at 5 gigs, if I remember correctly. I don't use it because I really can't afford another $20 on my bill.

Anyhow, have they announced how much personal hotspotting will cost? What will the cap be? Will it even cost anything? Will there be a cap at all?

I know I ask many questions, but I'd like to find excuses to switch to the iPhone.

2. Vihzel macrumors 6502

Just letting you know that you don't need personal hotspot with Android devices as they are already set up for it. Just bluetooth tether your phone to your Windows or Mac computer and you'll have internet access through your 3G connection. It's free.

I hope the Verizon iPhone can do something similar without an extra $20/month cost.

3. LucidPsychosis thread starter macrumors regular

Oh my god... I just tried it out, and it totally works. Thank you so much, dude!

4. EARL97850 macrumors member

To answer the OP question...yes the same price will be charged to the iPhone if you choose to use that feature. By the way...you need to contact VZW and have them turn on the feature then the charges will start.

Do the Blutooth or the free tether app route.

Cya

5. mo25 macrumors member

You can even get free wireless (hotspot) on most android devices. This has worked on the Eris and it works on my Incredible (which is up on ebay as we speak). I'm sure something for the ip4 on vzw will be released soon enough.

Note: This is akin to the usual backdoor ways of tethering feature phones without adding the mobile connect feature... standard disclaimers apply, and I'll let the rest of you work on that discussion...

Steps:

1) Dial ##778, SEND

2) EPST dialog comes up. Select 'Edit Mode'. Enter SPC (000000), hit OK.

3) Scroll to down to 'Security', select it. Change 'S.IP DUN User name' to yourvzwnumber@vzw3g.com (from yourvzwnumber@dun.vzw3g.com)

4) Hit back arrow to go back and go/select 'M.IP Default Profile'. Change 'DUN NAI' to yourvzwnumber@vzw3g.com (from yourvzwnumber@dun.vzw3g.com)

5) Hit menu button, and 'Commit Modifications', phone will save changes and reboot.

Modem drivers can be found on VZAccess Manager for Windows XP/Vista/7 -- the VZAccess executable will install the drivers when it first runs before launching its installshield runtime. No need to continue and install the actual software. *nix people can use their built in PPP dialers once they set up the right USB connection parameters to detect the phone as a modem.

Edit: This should help for Ubuntu users and possibly other Linux users: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=343989

Not sure about MAC OS users, perhaps someone else can comment.

This uses the 'Mobile broadband connect' option of USB connection. Simply make a DUN connection using the HTC USB Modem and dial #777. No need for username/password... can leave those blank.

Enjoy!

6. Vihzel macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if it's possible to bluetooth tether iPhones? If Android devices can... I'm sure there must be some way that iPhones can.

7. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Yes. Wifi, Bluetooth or USB.

8. Onthelo macrumors regular

Onthelo

9. Onthelo macrumors regular

Onthelo

BTW.. same as it has always been for me on the android..