Personal hotspot question please

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by seb1987, Apr 24, 2011.

1. seb1987 macrumors member

Just a question probaly a stupid one. If I switch the personal hotspot feature on do I get charged extra?

2. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

You can only use it if you have an appropriate mobile internet or tethering plan from your service provider.

3. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

You shouldn't be able to turn it on unless your carrier either allows it, ie you pay extra, though some provide it for free, or you jailbreak and hack it.

4. seb1987 thread starter macrumors member

I get a 1gb data plan but I was curious because I'm spending £15 a month on my iPad 3G for data so talkmobile over here in the uk are doing a htcdesires for £18 a month with unlimited Internet and I belive you can hotspot on that so for the sake of 3 pounds extra month its seem pretty good but I don't want extra charges.

5. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I'm going to be honest - never heard of talk mobile until you mentioned.

Yes.

PS, that was a long sentence.

6. ConnorTurnbull macrumors 6502

It depends on your market and your carrier. In the UK, for example, it differs between the various carriers. Some carriers charge you extra per month for an allocated tethering allowance, whilst others just let you use tethering as if you were using your data on your phone with no extra charges.

Best bet is to ring up your carrier as each one is different.