Personal Hotspot - Quick Tip Needed

ParagJain

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Hi,

Quickly if someone could help me out..

If i keep personal hotspot on but, no devices are connected to it, does it consume extra battery ? Or does it function normally till a device is actually connected ?

thanks,

Dan70

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2014
England
I would say it takes up extra battery, but I'm not 100% sure because whenever I turn it on, I always have a device like an iPad connected because that's the point of it. I'd edge on the side of caution and say it will as after all, you are enabling a mobile data service and anything carrier related usually uses some more battery.

Someone else might be able to post a better answer though.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Hi,

Quickly if someone could help me out..

If i keep personal hotspot on but, no devices are connected to it, does it consume extra battery ? Or does it function normally till a device is actually connected ?

thanks,
I'm guessing it would take some battery to leave it on. Why don't you leave it on for 24 hours and check the battery usage in settings.
1 if you notice a bigger drain than normal, you've answered your own question
Or
2 look in settings under usage/battery usage and if it's listed there you may see a high or low percentage.
If no one else can give the short answer you are looking for, try the above.

ParagJain

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
I'm guessing it would take some battery to leave it on. Why don't you leave it on for 24 hours and check the battery usage in settings.
1 if you notice a bigger drain than normal, you've answered your own question
Or
2 look in settings under usage/battery usage and if it's listed there you may see a high or low percentage.
If no one else can give the short answer you are looking for, try the above.
Thanks guys, lemme try the suggestions.