Personal Hotspot (Verizon)

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Tyler23, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Hey all,

Been using the IOS 6 beta for a few months now. Have had my 4S since February so ran it on IOS 5 for a while. Now, I know I've never before had the capability to use my phone as a Personal Hotspot (don't know if it's a carrier, plan or phone limitation for me), either way, know I've never had the option, or if I did I know it definitely would not work or be something I could do.

Today, noticed under Settings that I have an option for personal hotspot. It is active, and allows me to turn it on. It has a wifi password already entered that I have never even seen before and is not a password for any network I've ever used.

Either way, I'm on my home wifi on both my iPhone and MBP, and decided to try the feature..and, it works! I made my phone discoverable and saw my phone's name appear as a network I could access on my MBP.

What gives? anyone know what's going on, or anyone else on a 4S with Verizon and have insight?

2. mmomega macrumors 68030

mmomega

Same way on my wife's 4G iPad3, the option is there for either device with Verizon.

3. sectime macrumors 6502a

If your on the new share plans all smart devices include hotspot. My LTE iPad on month to month, hotspot is on the $30 and above plans.

4. mmomega macrumors 68030

mmomega

Not on a share plan with the iPad but I am on a $30+ plan.

5. MDTyKe macrumors regular

The fact you've activated it, I believe throws you automatically onto a $9.99/mo hotspot plan. Verizon are sneaky. Call and check... out of curiosity if hotspot is on your account.

6. sectime macrumors 6502a

Never heard of a $9.95 hotspot plan:confused:

7. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

I am not on a shared plan, still on an old family plan contract where we share minutes, I have a 2GB / month data plan, 500 texts per month and that's it. No hotspot added. I think I've noticed the feature before (can't be sure though), but it was always grayed out and using it was never an option. Somehow, today, it is..strange..

8. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

Jumpie

When I take my VZW sim card out and put it in my iPad, personal hotspot is turned on.

9. MDTyKe macrumors regular

The hotspot feature ('tethering') is actually $20/mo