Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ParryD

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2010
Hi,

I am using a Factory Unlocked iPhone 4S on 5.1.1. I have been facing issues with Personal Hotspot connectivity through WiFi. The hotspot WiFi availability is unpredictable. It is not detectable in the list in the list of available networks. Have been able to connect at times but by switching on & off the personal hotspot several times.

Whereas, I get connectivity through bluetooth & usb. My device came with 5.0.1 and had the issue with that too.

Pls assist.

anonnymouse

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
Note that Personal Hotspot will shut itself off after five minutes of non-use (even if the "ON" button remains on after that five minutes).

You must go to the Hotspot menu and toggle it off for a few moments and toggle it back on, before it will broadcast itself as a wifi base station again. Ive noticed that toggling it on-off-on too quickly doesn't work; I have to wait maybe 15 seconds before turning back on.

Hope that helps.

ParryD

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2010
Thanks anonnymouse for your reply.

My Hotspot is not in the list the of Available Networks instantly. But yes, I have been toggling it on/ off quickly.

ParryD

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2010
You must go to the Hotspot menu and toggle it off for a few moments and toggle it back on, before it will broadcast itself as a wifi base station again. Ive noticed that toggling it on-off-on too quickly doesn't work; I have to wait maybe 15 seconds before turning back on.

Hope that helps.

Tried it a couple of times at different intervals but still no luck.
Whereas I am facing no issues with Hotpsot through Bluetooth or USB. :confused:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
The i5 has been facing many wifi issues.
I wouldnt be surprised if the wifi tethering is messed up too.
I been trying to connect to 2-3 wifi's today with mine and I get data for a few seconds and then it freezes and get no more internet.
While other devices connect fine so its the i5 acting funny with wifi connections.
I been using carrier data a lot more latelly cause my wifi seems very flaky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.