Personal Hotspot working in Canada

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by El Aurens, Mar 9, 2011.

1. El Aurens, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011

El Aurens macrumors member

I just updated my iPhone to 4.3, took about ten minutes. Personal Hotspot now shows up under Network settings. In Canada, iPhone tethering is a no cost option, except for the iPad (I assume to promote 3G iPad sales). I was able to connect my iPad via wifi to my iPhone (bluetooth). Now I can share my 6 gb plan. I'm with Virgin Mobile.

My iPad is jailbroken, main reason was using iTether to share my iPhone plan with my iPad. However, I was always leery of updating to the latest OS because I would lose the JB functionality. With Personal Hotspot, I don't have that concern anymore!

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

An iPhone 4 and 3GS can *both* use Bluetooth to tether to any device. I have tried it with 3 Windows notebooks and my iPad, no jailbreaking needed.

3. El Aurens thread starter macrumors member

That's interesting, I didn't realize that. I recall that Rogers and Bell Mobility were charging an extra monthly fee for customers to "share" their iPhone data plans with their 3G iPads. I knew tethering was a no cost option, but thought that option didn't apply to iPads.

4. Saberon macrumors 6502a

That's when you actually share your data pool with your 3G iPad with Rogers. So both SIM cards are tied to 1 account/1 data pool. This way, we are just sharing our connection wirelessly to our iPad.

5. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

That's to share the plan, meaning if you have an iPhone and a 3G iPad, both devices use the same data plan (without connecting one to the other).

Tethering is a no charge option.