Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

El Aurens

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
London, Ontario, Canada
I just updated my iPhone to 4.3, took about ten minutes. Personal Hotspot now shows up under Network settings. In Canada, iPhone tethering is a no cost option, except for the iPad (I assume to promote 3G iPad sales). I was able to connect my iPad via wifi to my iPhone (bluetooth). Now I can share my 6 gb plan. I'm with Virgin Mobile.

My iPad is jailbroken, main reason was using iTether to share my iPhone plan with my iPad. However, I was always leery of updating to the latest OS because I would lose the JB functionality. With Personal Hotspot, I don't have that concern anymore!

Last edited:

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
An iPhone 4 and 3GS can *both* use Bluetooth to tether to any device. I have tried it with 3 Windows notebooks and my iPad, no jailbreaking needed.

El Aurens

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
London, Ontario, Canada
An iPhone 4 and 3GS can *both* use Bluetooth to tether to any device. I have tried it with 3 Windows notebooks and my iPad, no jailbreaking needed.

That's interesting, I didn't realize that. I recall that Rogers and Bell Mobility were charging an extra monthly fee for customers to "share" their iPhone data plans with their 3G iPads. I knew tethering was a no cost option, but thought that option didn't apply to iPads.

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
That's when you actually share your data pool with your 3G iPad with Rogers. So both SIM cards are tied to 1 account/1 data pool. This way, we are just sharing our connection wirelessly to our iPad.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
That's interesting, I didn't realize that. I recall that Rogers and Bell Mobility were charging an extra monthly fee for customers to "share" their iPhone data plans with their 3G iPads. I knew tethering was a no cost option, but thought that option didn't apply to iPads.

That's to share the plan, meaning if you have an iPhone and a 3G iPad, both devices use the same data plan (without connecting one to the other).

Tethering is a no charge option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.