Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Hi Guys,

I'm currently connected to WiFi on my iPhone. If I use Personal Hotspot to connect my iPad, will this use the WiFi my iPhone is already connected too? Or will it use my Mobile Data?

(For those wondering, I'm on a WiFi network that I don't know the password too) ((I can't ask the owner because he doesn't allow it anymore))

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
Hi Guys,

I'm currently connected to WiFi on my iPhone. If I use Personal Hotspot to connect my iPad, will this use the WiFi my iPhone is already connected too? Or will it use my Mobile Data?

(For those wondering, I'm on a WiFi network that I don't know the password too) ((I can't ask the owner because he doesn't allow it anymore))

It would use your mobile data connection. If memory serves me right a wifi adapter (whether in a phone or router etc) can only connect to one network at a time, a simultaneous connection of two wifi connections would require another wifi adapter in the phone

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
Built-in hotspot feature will only use data/3G.

If you are jailbroken, you can use MyWi which WILL allow you to share the WiFi Connection over USB or bluetooth.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Hi Guys,

I think in the iphone settings you can chose to "show password" of the wifi network that you are using. That way you can save your hotspot data and connect your iPad directly top the wifi and not through your phone.

......I just checked and maybe not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.