iPhone Personal hotspot

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by memoriess, Oct 14, 2014.

1. memoriess macrumors newbie

Hey! I had this problem when I am using personal hotspot.

Firstly, personal hotspot is off. I supposed when I turned it on, it will show me whether to turn on my Bluetooth or turn on my wifi and usb.

What actually happen is, when I turned on my personal hotspot, it didn't show me the option to turn on my Bluetooth or turn on my wifi and usb, it just simply turns it on (Bluetooth was turned off). Next is, I try to turned off my wifi, with Bluetooth off too. I went to turn on my personal hotspot, instead of showing 2 option of "Turn on Bluetooth" or "Turn on Wi-Fi and USB", it showed me "Turn on USB" and "Turn on Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.

Anyone mind helping me on this or do I really need to do a reset Network Settings?

2. memoriess thread starter macrumors newbie

3. helicopter96 macrumors member

Personal Hotspot only has 2 modes; you can have WiFi and Bluetooth enabled to access the hotspot wirelessly, or you can have just the USB enabled so you can connect your device to your computer and receive internet access solely on that device.

4. memoriess thread starter macrumors newbie

Previously I got "Wi-Fi and USB" and "Bluetooth" for the 2 modes. But now it changes to Wi-Fi and Bluetooth instead of Wi-Fi and USB? Correct me if I am wrong.

5. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Personal hotspot

It has a wired mode only or a wireless (BT/wifi)+wired mode. Wired is always on.

If you turn it on with wifi and Bluetooth off, it will ask if you want to turn both on.

If you turn it on with wifi on and Bluetooth off, it will ask you if you want to turn on Bluetooth.

If you turn it on with wifi off and Bluetooth on, it will ask you if you want to turn on wifi.

Simple.

6. helicopter96 macrumors member

Agreed. You should never have to use WiFi on the USB mode because the USB is meant to only give tethered internet to the computer that it's plugged in to.

7. myname70 macrumors 6502a

Guys, I am trying to use the Perosnal hotspot similar way as it is used in android Tethering wifi hotspot, but it does not work. When trying to activate it it says to contact my carrier!! I think the carrier should have nothing to do with the tethering... How can I chose the wifi hotspot name , type of encryption and password ? And why it asks for carriers