Personal Info on Websites

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by BreederCreature, Nov 14, 2007.

1. BreederCreature macrumors member

BreederCreature

I recently found a website where you can put in a url and get the site owner's personal contact information. This creeps me out. Is there anyway to keep my info private? Thanks!

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Depends on the domain name holder. I have Yahoo controlling my domain name and they offer to hide my personal info for an extra fee. I assume others work similarly for various fees and some do it for free probably. It is a touch creepy, but necessary since it allows legal follow-ups and charging of criminal activities online.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

As stated above, basically when you register a domain an administrative contact is needed for the WHOIS record of your domain. This can either be your details, or you can use 3rd parties which normally charge a small fee to do so (also normally an option when registering with most domain registrars).

My domain for example has Domains by Proxy, Inc as the contact ;)

4. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

What is this site?

5. Chillijam macrumors member

Chillijam

http://www.whois-search.com/ is just one example. It's also built in to most *NIX systems. From the command line, enter "whois domainname.com" to get this info back.

You can opt out of having personally identifying information displayed in this kind of lookup, usually through your provider.

6. BreederCreature thread starter macrumors member

BreederCreature

I'm using asmallorange.com for hosting and that's also where I got my domain name. I haven't worked on the website at all (the project it's for isn't done yet), so I can't figure out how to login or anything. Does anyone else use A Small Orange, know how to login, and where to purchase the privacy thingy?

Thanks for your help! I'm not doing anything illegal online, I just don't like the idea of complete strangers being able to see my phone number and where I live haha.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Contact ASO directly, they're very helpful (I use them too) and will advise exactly what you need to do.

8. Chillijam macrumors member

Chillijam

You shouldn't need to purchase anything, by the way. If asmallorange are any good, they'll be able to talk you through doing this for free. Of course, they may provide a tool to do this - I know my registrar does.

9. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

You can always put false info. Depending on the url, i dont put my real contact info.

10. Surely Guest

Surely

I noticed that WHOIS is built into the Network Utility app.

11. macsig macrumors regular

Almost all the providers have a privacy option: the provider information is showed instead yours.

Ask to your provider if the have this kind of option.

PS there are several website that get site owner's personal contact information