Personal iPhone pros and cons

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cjbryce, Jul 9, 2008.

1. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

Much as I like my iPod Touch and would be very keen on a new iPhone it's a slightly grey decision for me as I'm actually reasonably happy with my HTC Tytn II so here's my personal "pros and cons" view of the iPhone in order of importance to me:-

Pros
    ===
    Exchange synching
    Great UI/OS
    All mobile gadgets in one box
    Design/size
    Brilliant browser
    Great connectivity

Cons
    ===
    No automated profile settings (yet - may be an App Store app in future)
    No cut'n'paste - a biggy for me
    No horizontal keyboard for texts
    Limited ability to upload files/pictures
    Change away from Vodafone to O2
    Apparently limited ability to edit Office documents
    No Flash in browser

Other things like poor camera, lack of MMS &etc are of very minor import to me but do affect the overall impression of the iPhone:- that it is a very cool tool but not quite all it could/should be.

2. 3kids macrumors regular

This is the view from this user of things I don't like:

The ringer is so quiet I generally can not hear it if it rings. When on vibrate I can hear the rattle though. It is useless as a speaker phone. It is like trying to speak to a shy 2 year old on the telephone: nothing much is going to get accomplished.

I wish I could send photos in text messages. I do send email ones but not everyone can get that outside of their computer. This has not been a huge problem though.

Once the keyboard appears it will no longer move from horizontal to vertical.

Safari used to crash all the time. They replaced the phone and it is better. Every day though it just stops working at least once for a bit. Could be ATT, could be phone.

Every time I sync when I have photos on the phone it pulls up my iphoto library which takes forever to load. I wish it could be set to automatically just put the photos in.

There is much to admire, and the good far outweighs the bad. But those are a few things I don't like. I am trying to provide one of my children with pros and cons, so hopefully others will add to the OP's post.

3. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

1. The new speaker has taken care of that in 3G (At least according to WSJ)

2. Apple's doing something for that. Search 9to5mac for that. As far as I remember, they had some great pics of that as well! ;)

4. Ori macrumors 6502

I believe most of that hopefully will be sorted with apps, but with regards to the keyboard, I wanted the horizontal keyboard and screamed for it when the iphone first came out. However, I now hate the horizontal keyboard. I got so used to the vertical one and just prefer it for typing. I think that came about because of my heavy text usage.

Edit documents. I always hated editing docs on mobile devices. Never quite got the formatting right and it was always so painful to do. Also the dreaded crash on a windows mobile device made it pointless as I would always lose my work.

As for Vodafone vs O2.....same difference. I've been on all the networks and there isn't much between the older networks. T-mobile was the worst from my experience, but then again 50 other people on this forum may say different.