Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iWychwood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
I've recently completed the switch from Windows to Mac. I've been looking for a personal money management software (similar to Microsoft Money). The ones I've come across are accounting programmes aimed at start-up and small businesses, which isn't what I'm looking for. Can anyone recommend such a software?

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
I've been using iBank for about a year now. I used to use Quicken on my PC and found this when I first switched. So far, it does what I need (although it still likes to crash sometimes when I manually change a transaction's date; hopefully that'll be fixed in the next version).

http://www.iggsoftware.com

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
I run the risk of being flamed for this ("Delicious Generation" WAAAA) but I've been using Cha-Ching lately and have been markedly impressed with its improvements over the past few point releases. 0.3 was crap, but now that it's 0.5 I find it stable and delight to use.

Yes, it has a pretty UI, but I also think find it functional. It does everything I need it to do, but my personal accounting needs aren't particularly robust.

http://www.midnightapps.com/chaching/

Maynerd

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
I use quicken it works fine. It's not as good as the PC version from what I understand, however I haven't used the PC version in quite some time.

indiean

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2006
I second the Cha-Ching nomination, but I also fall into the "my personal money management needs aren't extensive" category. However, it is something that I think falls into the "good side" of the Delicious Generation category: it's like DL in that it's both functional and pretty...

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
I suggest using a Windows program (Quicken or MS Money -- seems you already own one) via Parallels. That's what I do (Quicken). I don't know any of the apps mentioned above (can they support Quicken or Money files that most banks/credit company websites generate?). I've read that Quicken for Mac is atrocious.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
it's not your "normal" money management app...but i've been pretty happy with Budget by snowmint...great support as well...and just visually the kind of app i like working with. not for everyone, but i like it.

SpaceJello

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
I have been keeping my eye on Cha-Ching, its looks great and promising but I don't know if its ready for primetime yet.. I am waiting till the v1.0. How is it now? Does it have a lot of bugs?

As well, jumsoft's money, anyone has experience with that?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
I have been keeping my eye on Cha-Ching, its looks great and promising but I don't know if its ready for primetime yet.. I am waiting till the v1.0. How is it now? Does it have a lot of bugs?

As well, jumsoft's money, anyone has experience with that?

i have Money from Jumsoft, although its the not the 2.0 release, its the previous one. great app and easy to use. they're a great company and i love their applications. stable, easy to use and great interface. i recommend them, try the demo :D

SpaceJello

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
i have Money from Jumsoft, although its the not the 2.0 release, its the previous one. great app and easy to use. they're a great company and i love their applications. stable, easy to use and great interface. i recommend them, try the demo :D

I just tried the 2.0 release, for some reason it doesn't store my preference when it comes to landscape vs portrait mode for viewing the graphs... i dont know if that is in v1.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
I suggest using a Windows program (Quicken or MS Money -- seems you already own one) via Parallels. That's what I do (Quicken). I don't know any of the apps mentioned above (can they support Quicken or Money files that most banks/credit company websites generate?). I've read that Quicken for Mac is atrocious.

I've been using the Mac version of Quicken for some time now. There's nothing "atrocious" about it unless you consider "atrocious" to mean not having some of the same features as the windows version

mtoldman

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
Quicken Essentials

I am here actively searching for a personal financial app. I have been a Quicken user for over 10 years on both Mac and Windows platforms. When I bought a new Mac, I purchased QE. What a piece of crap! I could not set up my mortgage, I could not have splits affect multiple accounts without manually posting the split. I am not currently involved in Investments but have heard that QE does not handle them very well. Finally the interface to Turbo Tax is not at all intuitive. QE does not have half of the functionality of previous versions of Quicken for Mac and certainly cannot compare to Quicken for Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.