Personal opinion on Mavericks so far

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by PEN10k, Oct 23, 2013.

1. PEN10k macrumors regular

So the title says it all. If there is anyone who isn't sure, wether to install Mavericks or not, I'll post a few words of my opinion, so far.

I'm on the late 2012 13" rMBP, 2,5 Ghz model, and so far, the Mavericks upgrade really has been a great boost for my macbook. I can notice a huge difference in scrolling on webpages - it is a lot smoother.
    Apps opens faster, and runs smoother as well.
    So far I cannot say anything about the battery life, haven't had the time to test it yet.

But this was just my first opinions so far. Really haven't got any cons whatsoever, so far. :) Again, this post is pointed to the mac users, who is searching for other users opinions.

Btw sorry if I make any mistakes in my English, I'm from Denmark.

- PEN10k :apple:

2. wazzaracer macrumors newbie

3. 844957 Suspended

On my 2013 11" Macbook Air the install went quick and painless.

Not noticing too much different but I'm not liking the little UI changes for no good reason (removal of linen texture from Mission Control and Notification Centre) Top sites in safari is BORING. I really liked the dark curved reflections. Now its just a chrome/firefox wannabe. Notes is MEH but its not something I use daily (why change it)

Battery life is a little better and I DO like the energy hog app list. iBooks and Maps are "okay" and I've had some strange Maps issues where the maps tiles just disappears and the app is blank with nonfunctioning controls.

Not too different to make me hate it but they changed things I thought didn't need changing.

FINDER IS AWESOME!

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

SO far its a draw for me. It looks like it wants to be quicker but I think there are a few things holding it back.

Like: Safari, dual menu, notifications, memory management

Dislike: Mail (its really messed up for me), dock, Chrome isn't 100%

Coming from Lion on Late 2009 mini 2.53GHz/8GB/750GB SSHD/dual monitors

5. libertysat macrumors regular

What is that?
    Where is it?

6. Quackers macrumors 6502a

Energy tab in Activity Monitor.

After initial teething problems Mavericks is running great here on my 15" rMBP.
    I get the odd pin wheel but it's very brief and doesn't impact on performance at all.

7. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Click on the battery icon. You will see it in the submenu.

8. feelerino macrumors newbie

I have a 21'' late 2011 iMac and it seems good so far. As you said, some of the programs and apps runs slightly smoother. Sort of steadier too.

9. Djay1 macrumors member

I went against my better judgement and upgraded early. :eek:

The main issue is mail is faster on my iPad 3 than my 27" '09 i5 iMac!

For example, using OSX 10.9, I can open a message I sent via mail with a photo attachment. It will slowly spin and eventually open with the photo. I can close that message, immediately reopen it and the painfully slow opening cycle begins all over again. Mail in general is very slow currently using the Mac. :confused:

10. ElliottG macrumors member

Personally can't tell much of a difference on my early 2011 13" Pro.

11. OrangeCrush980 macrumors newbie

Still no scrollbar arrows. Still sticking with Snow Leopard until it's truly dead.

12. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Been running it since DP3 (i think).

Battery life improved by 15%, feels faster than Mountain lion on my 2011 15".

The DPs had a couple of bugs with wifi for me, but the GM has been rock solid.

13. sportsnapper macrumors member

sportsnapper

Again, against my better judgement I upgraded yesterday. Early 2011 macbook def. seems faster, and yes, Safari is faster.
    At last windows in safari open on the screen they were last opened on. Two menu bars just makes sense, and finder tabs seem to work. Lightroom has app nap built in (surprise?) - but isn't any faster yet...
    I don't seem to have any mail issues - but then I migrated half my mail from 1&1 to Gmail last week - that was stressful enough and things are at least stable now...

14. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

I've noticed a slight improvement in performance on my MBP. Definitely feels snappier that Lion/ML. Bit of an issue with wifi when waking from sleep, but I'm hoping that will be fixed in the first .1 update.

15. parish macrumors 65816

parish

I think Mavericks is an awesome upgrade, and being free makes it even better, and the whole slew of apps that Apple have added as free upgrades.

I honestly can't find anything about it that makes me wish I was still on ML.

Battery life (mid-2012 rMBP 15") is noticeably better. Being able to use my HDTV as a second monitor is brilliant.

Scrolling in Safari is orders of magnitude faster and smoother - it took me a while to get used to it, I kept overshooting where I wanted to scroll to!

I've also installed it on my wife's mid-2007 2.4GHz MBP (the oldest MBP model supported by Mavericks) and it is noticeably more responsive on that too :)

16. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

Both my iMac and MacBook are older machines from 2010.

I have a generally favorable impression, but it has only been one day. I do not see any battery life improvements yet, but I see some discernible difference in the quality of visuals and the smoothness of scrolling complicated, heavy windows.

With the iMac, the first installation got me the corrupted disk message that is documented at the Apple Support site. Nobody can figure out what's causing it to happen, for sure, although all of us with whom I have spoken were running virtual machines.

Interestingly, I upgraded to Parallels 9 the day before I tried to go to Maverick, specifically to avoid issues.

But when I had to restore a backup from my Time Machine I ended up with Parallels 8 for the next try for Mavericks.

I ran the Disk Utility after restoring the backup, and then had no issues at all with the upgrade to Mavericks.

I have no idea if any of that is related, but giving the information in case people are searching to create a database of what people have in common.

17. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Been using Mavericks for a day or so, and noticed that My MBP is running cooler - not as much fan activity.

Have had issues with dashboard using 100% CPU, fan kicking in and other apps using 60-70% of CPU at other times, forcing the fan to start up. Not seen that as much now, and much happier about it too, I must say.

18. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Finder window tabs are nice.
    Dual screen support works best when turned OFF.
    iTunes still doesn't have a decent artwork display window.
    iBooks should have been available on Macs 3 years ago.

Mostly Mavericks seems a pretty vanilla update; some bits good, a few bad, but nothing to write home to Mother about. At least the price was right.

19. 844957 Suspended

quicktime is broken for me.....when i use my external sound card there is crackling heard on .mp4 files but not on internal speakers

quicktime will not open .avi at all...it opens "converting" these videos play fine in DivX player or in VLC and nothing changed other than updating to 10.9

Im frustrated at how poor Apple QA is now.

20. stooovie macrumors 6502a

That's a driver problem... check card manufacturer's website for updated drivers

OSX has NEVER supported AVIs natively. You need to install Perian for that. Maybe the upgrade just disabled it if you had it installed. Also, mplayerx is great for playback of nearly anything you throw at it.

21. shanson27 macrumors 6502a

shanson27

22. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I like Mavericks. In my opinion, there are many new features that have been a help to me, as well as improvements under the hood, that help the OS to run much better than my experience with ML on the same machine.

23. 844957 Suspended

I had DivX installed before and all my avis played fine in quicktime. now they open with a converting screen. perian is like ancient

why would i update my iMac's gfx drivers from the manufacturer??

24. stooovie macrumors 6502a

Same applies for Divx - you'll probably need to update the DivX codec/player. It's needed for quicktime player to be able to play DivX AVIs.

Sound card drivers, not GFX card... You stated crackling only occurs with external sound card.

25. 844957 Suspended

dunno why i was thinking gfx :eek:

the sound card is class compliant and no driver is needed. sound works fine with all other apps. this is an issue with quicktime and mavericks its all over the apple discussion forums. thanks for the tips tho :)