Personal phone, employer pays for services

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vg333, Jul 9, 2009.

1. vg333 macrumors newbie

I bought the phone at the store and expense monthly bill to my employer. Employer has not installed anything on the phone.

In this situation, can my employer track web sites I am visiting? Secondly, when I use the internet on the phone at work, is the data going through employer network or cell phone network?

Thanks!

2. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

They can't track what you are doing unless you are connected to your employer's VPN. If you are connected to their VPN then all of your network traffic is flowing through their network.

3. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

The full bill does not show websites, just stuff like 4kb uploaded on this date.

The data is only going through your work network if you are connected to a WiFi network at work. (or a VPN connection)

4. vg333 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks Noah. I do not have the vpn option on my phone so I am assuming that I am not going through any vpn. does this mean I am going through the cell phone network?

I appreciate your response.

5. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

1) Your bill, your business. No one sees your bill, so your employer does not see your calls.

2) Your account, your data. Your bill does not show a copy of all the sites you visited on your Phone.

3) If you are on WiFi, AT&T doesn't even see it. On Edge/3G, it's possible they could. Do they? I dunno...

4) pr0n on the iPhone seems boring...;)

6. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

Yeah, if you are at your house or on the road then you are ok. If you are in your office connected to your office's WiFi then it is possible for them to see the data traffic.

7. vg333 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all for your responses..

Thanks all for your responses..

8. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Of course, a company allowing random wifi devices to get on and surf the company network is insane. Assuming that's what's going on here.

If they have to make an exception for his phone, via login, MAC registering, or some such, then it's a sure bet they monitor/control all surfing. I do.