Personal Site Web Hosting Options

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by barr08, Jun 26, 2010.

1. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Hey all,

I want to buy a domain name and some space for a personal site that will have some info about myself, my resume, portfolio, etc. I was going to do this through godaddy, as they are having a sale right now, but I've heard mixed reviews about their service. Can someone recommend the best way to go about getting a domain name and some web space? Thanks!

2. resom macrumors member

webhostingbuzz.com has been great for all the years I have used them. You can buy your domain and hosting there and you can search google for coupons for a pretty nice discount. Currently using them for 2 websites.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

See the stickies in this forum for recommendations others have made. There's a number of good ones.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

5. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

Can't believe I missed these. These threads look like a great jumping off point for hosting and some other problems I'm sure to run into. Thanks guys!

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

My webhost has a feature that can save you a lot of money... if you know about it. It may be a common feature, but I haven't had too many hosts in the past.

Subdomains.

I have one hosted account. And in that one account I have four other subdomains. Each subdomain is a registered domain (also godaddy). Each subdomain shows up as a unique URL (foo.com, bar.com...). But you only pay the hosting fee for the original account.

Now there are probably good reasons to not do this. And I certainly welcome any wisdom that can be passed on in these pages. However, for someone like me, who doesn't have much traffic on my sites, it saves a small fortune not hosting every domain that I own.

7. 7031 macrumors 6502

Seriously? Pretty much all webhosts have subdomain support, do they not? Every cPanel host I've used has support for them anyway and I'd honestly be surprised if I found a paid web host that did not support subdomains.

Of course, if you are starting a completely different site it probably is better to just buy a whole domain for it, but of course, I can't blame anyone for using sub domains, they're pretty useful of course, just I can't imagine seeing any paid hosts that lack support for them.

Explain? Neither foo.com or bar.com are subdomains? A subdomain would be say, foo.bar.com.

Unless you mean hosting multiple domains off of the same hosting account? Yeah, that is true, many hosts don't allow that, especially on their basic plans, although when they're as cheap as some hosting plans it can sometimes work out cheaper to just buy multiple hosting plans if it doesn't justify the cost of the next plan up or whichever plan it is that the host sells which allows multiple domain names.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That's why I prefaced my post with...

Yes. That is exactly how my host illustrates a subdomain too.

And yet, I am able to use the subdomain section of my control panel to create subdomains for each of my domains while only paying for hosting the initial domain.

It certainly seems to be a loophole most hosts would want to close.

9. 7031 macrumors 6502

Ah, sorry that I didn't read it correctly. I wasn't sure if you meant addon domains or sub domains.

And yes, most hosts should allow you to create subdomains for each of your domains, and host them from the same hosting plan, and to be honest, I don't think hosts are really that bothered about stopping people from doing it. I could easily stop my customers from creating sub domains, but I don't because quite simply:

1. It's their domain, might as well let them do what they want with it.
    2. Every other host seems to offer this option, if I didn't, I would probably go out of business damn quickly.
    3. It's also a pretty simple matter of the fact that I'm not really that bothered about profits from domains, and to be honest I'm sure that most other hosts aren't either.

Domain names really aren't a profitable area for most hosts I believe, so it doesn't really bother them. I believe ICANN charges around $7 for domain registration, so yeah, it's not exactly profit for the host.

Sorry about the confusion there.

10. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

I've been happiest with JustHost. Their servers are really fast. No issues with them. I can also delete files. I always had permission issues with Godaddy on Macs.

11. timor macrumors newbie

If is just a personal blog site then you may want to consider using the Blogger (blogspot.com) platform, which is totally free and easy to manage
    As for the domain name you can register it at Godaddy.com,which you've already mentioned...
    To be able to use you own domain you will need to do is redirect www to ghs.google.com in your domain management panel...here is a detailed guide that might help you

12. create90mph macrumors newbie

My vote would be for JustHost as well. They offer a lot of value in terms of server space (unlimited) customer service, and server speed. They are also relatively inexpensive when you buy a long-term plan.

13. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

I would look into HostGator for your hosting. They are cheap and reliable and you get unlimited space and bandwidth.