Personal update: 128 gb SSD failure resolved

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jgc, Oct 25, 2013.

1. jgc macrumors regular

Hey guys,

There was a bit of interest on hearing about what happened to people with failures of their SSDs on the mid-2012 Mac. Below is what happened, your mileage will definitely vary.

Got diagnosed, was told I needed to replace the SSD. Got a phone call a day or so later saying that there was a major constraint company-wide on the part, so they'd simply replace my laptop.

Went in today and got my replacement. Mine was mid-2012 CTO, the only change being an upgrade in RAM to 8 gb (still base level processor and 128 gb SSD). Since they didn't have that in stock, they gave me the fully loaded version (512 gb SSD, 8 gb RAM, updated processor). To make it even better, I got the mid-2013 version instead of the mid-2012 version.

I'm sure YMMV, but it looks like Apple will be doing (at least locally in Canada, but probably most places) replacement for an equal-or-better model of the current 2013 edition.

Best of luck to all!

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Wow! Congrats on the great luck and kudos to Apple for taking care of their customer! :cool:

3. jgc thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I'm really impressed. Obviously not everyone is going to have the same luck that I had, but Apple is definitely taking care of this issue and is not afraid to be a little over-generous to fix it.

4. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

This is why I was kind of hoping my Toshiba 128 GB SSD would fail lol, but I applied some update a few weeks ago that was supposed to fix it.

5. macgeek88 Suspended

Nice! My 2012 13' 128GB 4GB RAM is the shop right now for the SSD. Update failed and so I took it right in. No retail stores around but one AASP so I took it there.

This MBA has had a defective battery and display replacement too, so maybe, just maybe even though it's out of warranty I'll get a replacement. Not holding my breath though.

6. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

7. jgc thread starter macrumors regular

Lol yeah I know what you mean now. Unfortunately I am still out $200 for the OWC drive I bought, so although it did work out in the end I am down a bit of money.
    Good luck then! Hopefully they end up replacing yours with a mid-2013 as well. I'm wondering if they're trying to replace with refurb 2012's when possible (for more common models such as yours) and only resorting to mid-2013 for CTO. Guess you'll find out soon!
    No doubt. Out $200 on the initial part replacement from OWC but I have a much better laptop and pushed the need to buy one back 15 months. Not bad overall.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If you still have it, get one of these guys and you can turn that into a nice external SSD.

If not, well, $200 for what amounts to an upgrade to the current tech isn't THAT bad. :)

9. jgc thread starter macrumors regular

The OWC drive came with an aluminum USB 3.0 case... I'm just not sure what I want to use it for. I have a 2 TB desktop drive for music, videos, and other stuff, a 750 GB portable drive that was used for backups and more immediate file storage (now will just be for backups), and many SD cards/USB drives. I don't know what I could use it for. Looking at selling it though.

But you're right... at the end of the day, if that deal was offered to me, I'd drop the $200 then and there.

10. macgeek88 Suspended

Well, they just called me and they simply replaced the drive. That's ok. I'm hoping I can get another year out of it. Can't upgrade the RAM but maybe I'll get a 2013 SSD or something a bit faster.