Personal Viewing Theater Goggles

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MDMachiavelli, Apr 17, 2018.

1. MDMachiavelli macrumors regular

MDMachiavelli

As the title states I'm looking for a pair of personal viewing, theater goggles that will plug into a PC or laptop via HDMI.

I have the Oculus Rift but it isn't for me for two reasons.

First of all I'm not looking for the whole immersion that VR provides. I could care less about the virtual environment and all of the other bells and whistles that the Rift and other VRs provide.

Second, I can't why anyone would want to sacrifice a good/great quality picture for something that has a screen door. I'm looking for something that at least 1080P.

As I said previously I'm not looking for all of the bells and whistles of VR, I just want a pair of goggles that that projects a PC/Laptop.Tablet screen to the glasses/goggles with a dark background.

I do see a few here and there but little is said about them, and there just doesn't seem to be any hype around they're use.

Any info, opinions, or experience on these would be greatly appreciated.

2. JoeInMilwaukee macrumors regular

Check out the Royole Moon:

http://www.royole.com/moon

It was reviewed in the May 2018 print edition of Sound & Vision magazine, but unfortunately it's not yet appearing on S&V's web site.

3. MDMachiavelli thread starter macrumors regular

MDMachiavelli

This is exactly what I was looking for, and has some the aspects that I really deem important.

Thanks for posting it.

Do you remember anything about the review? Did they give an overall thumbs up or thumbs down?

4. JoeInMilwaukee macrumors regular

Rob Sabin (the Editor-in-Chief) was the reviewer; he gave it a "Sound & Vision Top Pick" stamp of approval.

The "At a Glance" box in the review contained the following:

Plus
    + Excellent video and audio quality
    + Smart ergonomics
    + Solid build quality

Minus
    - Potential for viewer fatigue
    - Battery gets hot
    - Propensity toward video noise with low-bitrate streams

Rating
    Peformance: 4/5
    Features: 4.5/5
    Build Quality: 4/5
    Value: 4/5

Mr. Sabin seemed very impressed with the Royole Moon.

Depending on where you are, you should still be able to find a copy of the May 2018 issue on newstands (I received mine in the mail on April 2). Or perhaps at a public library. The review is on Pages 50-53.

5. MDMachiavelli thread starter macrumors regular

MDMachiavelli

If I see it on the stand somewhere I'll buy it. I live in a pretty rural area so its probably not sold where I live. What you have provided is plenty to help me make my decision. I really appreciate it.

6. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

If you wind up buying, I'd really be interested in a review from you (or if you get a chance to try them out). I was involved in a good amount of work in the AR/VR space, but like you, I was always underwhelmed (from an AV enthusiast perspective) with using the current crop of gear as just a "personal theater".

7. JoeInMilwaukee macrumors regular

You're very welcome!

I'm attaching a scan of the "Conclusion" of Rob Sabin's review from the May 2018 Sound & Vision magazine print edition.

royole_moon.jpg

8. MDMachiavelli thread starter macrumors regular

MDMachiavelli

This is exactly what I'm looking for, but I'm a very calculated consumer when making these kinds of purchases. I'll look around a little more and hopefully develop some buzz on this forum and maybe a few others. That being said this one is at the top of the list so far, and I'm not sure anything else really comes close.

Doing a review is definitely something I've thought about once I do make my decision. I want people to not have go through what I'm going through to get where I want to be. There is almost zero interest, and buzz, on the subject of a "personal theater", video goggles, or whatever else they may be called.

Like you, I am extremely underwhelmed, and somewhat disappointed, in the AR/VR scene. Of course I have an iPhone but when Samsung came out with the headset for the Galaxy I tried a friends and was very disappointed. Then I recently bought a very powerful gaming PC and decided what the heck, so I bought a Oculous Rift. I guess it has a very novel aspect to it but again very disappointed. I noticed that everything in VR is "grainy" looking. I did a search and its common with all VR technology and I think they refer to it as the screen door effect. My problem with it is that before they concentrate on all of these background type things they should perfect the quality of the video itself.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 18, 2018 ---

Thanks, this info is really helping me make up my mind.