Personal Website: Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Caleb531, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Caleb531, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010

Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

Before I get to my website, I should really introduce myself further.

My name is Caleb Evans, a Mac geek in high school. Obviously, I'm Caleb531 around these forums, but I'm emerging from the shadows, feeling I would like some more feedback in the work I'm doing. I've been learning Web design/development for the past 3 months, and I feel I have some things to share now.

The first of these is a personal website. I've been working on this website since I started developing, but in the last few weeks, I've been finalizing it. Now, I think I have everything ready to showcase it. So, without further ado, here it is:
    http://calebevans.me/

Comments? Suggestions?

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Just looking quickly, a couple of thoughts:
    • The <style></style> should be within the <head> tag, and don't forget type="text/css"
    • There's no need to make a site this simple as dependent on javascript as you've made it. Have you even seen what happens to your site when javascript is disabled? It's not pretty.
    • Sites that break the Back button bug me.
    Honestly the function of the site is fine (putting aside the javascript requirement) but the design is remedial at best. You might want to focus on the "Web Developer" aspect and not tout yourself as a designer at this point. I don't want to sound mean, but if you want to learn you'll learn to accept honest criticism. Keep on working and learning!

P.S. The word you're looking for here is "ado." "adieu" is French for "goodbye".

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Doesn't look like a site I'd ever visit again. It looks like you just used a template and put a couple of bulleted lists on it.

What is the point of your site?

4. Caleb531 thread starter macrumors 6502

Caleb531

• The placement of the <style> tags is only to keep each page style working with my content loading setup. And, according to this, the type atrribute isn't necessary.

True, but I'm trying to design my site for the future of websites (i.e. those sites that require JavaScript to work well). And especially since my portfolio projects require JavaScript to work, I'm trying to promote the use of JS.

In regards to the back button, I'll just have to change how I load between pages (currently, I use this method). I have an idea for how I might do that.

That's fine; you have a good point. Design has many aspects to it, so I don't intend to get everything right at once. It's a learning experience. :D

Thanks; I was never really great with French.

Really to showcase my work. I don't plan on starting a business of anything, so it's really just a place where I may post what I make. I should probably emphasize my Portfolio page more.

5. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

Yes, the portfollio page should show your projects not list random stuff.. When I looked at that page i was just very confused.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Optional for HTML5, but not all browsers understand HTML5, so don't rely on it for a couple years (the top of the linked page even says so). Also, there's no good excuse to have a style tag inside the body tag. It can cause issues. Fix your content loading setup instead.

This isn't a good way to view things. Check out ALA's article on progressive enhancement to see how you should be approaching things. ALA is a good resource that you should browser through.

7. Caleb531 thread starter macrumors 6502

Caleb531

Thanks for all the feedback.

I'm now working on updating my site with these suggestions in mind.