Personalisation On My MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by E.k, May 22, 2010.

1. E.k macrumors newbie

Alrighty, I'm still fairly new to Mac, I got myself MacBook Pro about 6 months ago.
    I've been using & building PCs for over 10 years now, and never owned a laptop or a Mac until now.

I'm just looking for some software to make it feel more personal & handy.
    Its fantastic when it comes to work & creativity, but it seems to feel a little cold when it comes to just chilling out on the couch..

I don't mean games or something to just pass the time, but more along the lines of customization, settings tweaking, anything handy to do with Facebook, a personal organizer, alarm clock, maybe even some sort of a profile system? Is there such a thing? Eg, a Battery Power profile would dim backlight & volume to a set level, turn off Bluetooth, switch wallpaper & OS colour theme ect..

I've got SOHO Organizer & its great, it synchronizes with iCal, Address Book & updates my phone with all the info I need.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. coops macrumors regular

Geektool is popular for adding useful (or not ;-) ) info to your 'active' desktop

Here's my simple one
    [​IMG]

Found the 3 month calendar really useful.... geektool is also for the large time/date and the drive sizes for the Mac HD and Bootcamp.

I've also ditched the dock for dragtool.... but you can check out the geektool thread here for huge number of ideas.

Coops

3. E.k thread starter macrumors newbie

Sweet, thanks Coops. I'll look into this.

Anyone else have anything helpful to share?..

4. gobes macrumors member

Looks good that.

Is it possible to have week numbers on the calendar?

5. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

GeekTool is a good tool for customization. Candybar is also a good option for customizing your Dock, icons, and themes. Another good Dock customization tool is SuperDocker, which I use. There is also Secrets, a preference pain where you can tweak a bunch of system settings. Onyx does this as well. I also use iStat Menus for watching my system stats. And BetterTouchTool is a definite must if you use a trackpad as it enables a ton of convenient and time-saving gestures.

Attached Files:

6. coops macrumors regular

Not sure.... there's a humongous thread about Geektool, though.
    Note - for the calendars you need to use a 'fixed width' font for the numbers to line up correctly all the time... Courier as in my desktop works fine.

Also it's Dragthing, not dragtool... oops. Here - it's excellent
    http://dragthing.com/

Also, as mentioned, Better Touch Tool is magnificient - whether it's for a touchpad or magic mouse.

Coops