Perspective: What if Apple made you wait a year or two for an iPhone upgrade?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by xkmxkmxlmx, Sep 20, 2012.

1. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

What would all the people saying that it is stupid to complain about them not updating the iMac line and the current one, for the current price, is "more than enough"?

Would you be upset? Surprised? Would you go with another phone with newer tech? Would you still be using your iPhone 4 to this day? Would you BUY an iPhone 4 right now?

IMO, computer upgrades are far more important than Phone upgrades. You may feel the opposite. And if you do, you now know the annoyance that Apple is causing with this delay.

2. Bargle macrumors regular

The apple AIO is currently the most powerful AIO on the market even at it's age of 500 days. If the iPhone 3 was still top dog, it wouldn't really matter if they made us wait 2 years, because there would be nothing better.

There is no "delay". Only macrumors says that an updated model is coming out, apple has not gotten anyone's hopes up and then dashed them on the rocks of ruined dreams.

3. xkmxkmxlmx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Are you kidding me? The first comparative result that comes up searching for AIO's is Dell's and it blows the iMac out of the water in every respect except maybe the GPU for about $500-$800 less.

I love the blind Apple defense.

4. cyrways macrumors member

I would never argue this stance and you are right to say something. But I still would never buy a dell because it is not even worth the price they are asking to me even if it is less costly. Personal preference though.

In my mind dell doesn't even exist.

just like kia doesn't either. :)

5. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Dell AIO does not blow current iMac out of water if it's still have some edge to compete against.

As you said, GPU on current high end iMac still the best you can get in an AIO product. It also has 4 RAM slots against typical 1 or 2 slots out there. How many slots Dell AIO has?
    Also it has 1440p 27" display, something not even all 27" AIO could have until recently.

It might be old, it might only have Sandy Bridge CPUs. I'm not saying it's worth the money as of today. But a modern AIO today, even with IB CPUs still barely catching up with iMac.

It's still one of the best out there. And it's not a blind defense or justification. Merely an observation :p

6. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

If you feel that way, why don't you exercise your options. Buy a Macbook Pro or go the PC route.

7. xkmxkmxlmx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

I don't know how to put this any other way than I already have, but you're wrong. The Dell is a faster computer overall at over $800 difference in price. While the iMac might have *some* faster components, it still can't be justified to pay more than half the price of another similarly equipped box.

Already did. Thanks for adding to the discussion.

8. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

If you're buying a Mac for pure horsepower you're buying it for the wrong reasons. A custom spec'ed PC will almost always out-muscle a Mac.

I spend more on a Mac for higher quality components, higher aesthetic value, and a better overall user experience. If I just wanted a fast machine I'd build a PC for $500 and be done with it.

All that being said, looking at the Dell AIOs they're a hair cheaper ($300 less for the base model) with pretty equivalent specs, the Dell has 2gb more RAM and a slightly faster CPU with the much worse onboard video option as compared to the iMac. I'm not seeing the "blowing out of the water" here.

9. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't really care. I upgrade every two years with the renewal of my contract, so it's every 2 years for me anyway. As long and my phone is usable, I don't really see the need to get a new one anyway. My computer is my work, however, so it's a bit more of an issue when updates aren't released.

10. davidcmc macrumors 6502

And this, lords and ladies, is why people out there make jokes of Apple community.

There's a reason for the word "iSheep".

11. Bargle macrumors regular

dude. Read the sentence again without your grouchy glasses on. "IF" the iphone 3 "WERE" still the top phone, just like the apple high end AIO is still the top of the line AIO, there would be no place else to go, just as nobody, except someone with money issues, is going to buy the dell AIO over the apple.

The SSD 27" 7xxxm apple is the best AIO on the market. So the question is, what is apple rush to refresh the imac? None. There is no serious competition for AIO devices. So, if there never was the samsung galaxy et al, we would probably be waiting for the iphone 4S tomorrow instead of the iphone 5.

Competition breeds better products for the consumers. Right now there is almost no competition for AIO, and what competition there is is just getting started. Because of this, apple will probably wait to see what this new competition does, before they refresh the imacs.

12. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

They already make you wait a year between iPhone upgrades....and like most people I have my iPhone for two years anyway since that's when it goes off contract....and I've been "suffering" with my early 2009 iMac since mid 2009!

13. segovius macrumors regular

segovius

I'd just love it....make it 5 years. Bring it on...

14. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Which Dell were you talking about? This one?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5866/dell-xps-one-2710-review-the-premium-allinone

Unless I read it wrong .. It costs the same as high end iMac .. It has IB i7 3770S, but as I said .. It has a weak GPU and only 2 slots of RAM.

In the end the spec is even out each other. But you see they both cost the same, not $800 cheaper nor blows iMac out of water as you claimed earlier.

But then again, maybe I was talking about a wrong Dell AIO :)

15. xkmxkmxlmx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

That wasn't my point. That came after as I was arguing the logic of the person who tried to side step the point by saying that the iMac was the most powerful. I wasn't say that it had to be the most powerful, just that in its current state, it is outrageous to purchase one at that price.

The top tier Dell AIO starting at $1799 :)apple:$1999)

i7 3.9ghz :)apple: has a stock i5 3.1 add $200 for the i7 3.4 = $2199 and STILL underpowered comparatively)

2x4GB ram of DDR3 1600 :)apple:2x2 DDR3 1333. 2x4 for $100 more [$50 if you shop around] = $2299)
    Incidentally, 2 ram slots is not a huge deal. Most can get by with 8gb of ram. If you need 16, you can buy 8gb cards that will cost you, but STILL be cheaper than buying a similarly constructed iMac.

2tb HDD + 64GB SSD :)apple: do I even need to go on at this point? Apple stock HDD is 1tb, $150 if you want 2TB and while they don't offer a smaller SSD to compare to, the cheapest option to get a SSD in there at all by them is $450(!!!) more. Let's just say, for the sake of argument, you voided your warranty day one and put your own $100 SSD upgrade and price everything at $2550 right now - even though it is technically at the $2900 range at this point).

Yes, the only thing that hurts it is the GPU. But here is the weird thing about that. Who, but a small amount of people get anything out of that high end GPU anyway? If you bought it to game on, you're more than likely gonna use it to boot camp. Which kinda defeats the purpose of going with the iMac in the first place, and adds another $100 to the price if you were going to obtain Windows in a legal manner.

The Dell also has a blu-ray reader, 6 USB 3 ports, HDMI out and in, optical out, optional tv tuner, etc etc etc.

And STILL at the starting price of $1799. :)apple: $2600-$2900).

Go ahead and hold on to that video card argument. Everything else is hands down some of the best stuff on the market today and there will be noticeable gains in almost every aspect with the Dell.

16. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Well yea that's the problem with Dell AIO. You claim they give consumers the latest and greatest high end stuff in it, they also go into Mac territory in term of pricing. But why cheap out on GPU?

Bluray, bigger HDD, a bit better CPU, USB 3.0 is absolutely nice options. No doubt about that. But if Dell really want to outpace the competition (iMac) .. Why not going all out considering they also make AlienWare, and XPS is also their premium business/consumer line.
    Maybe GTX 680M wasn't out yet back then, but they could go with 7970M in that thing. Make it $2500 I don't care as long as it has the latest graphic too. Now that blows iMac out o water.

If you really care about spec wars, most likely you're a gamer or IT professionals/developers and content creators. So yeah GPU/CPU matters most. Others can be more easily improved.

17. davidcmc macrumors 6502

Why do you keep saying the word "AIO"? Do you really think that the all-in-one model is something crucial in people's mind?

People don't buy an iMac because it's an AIO, people buy it because it's faster than MacBooks and Mac Minis, but cheaper than Mac Pros.

People buy an iMac thinking on the word "desktop", not "all-in-one".

There's no competition because the all-in-one model is despised.
    The only reason Apple sells iMacs is because it's their only desktop solution that's not so expensive like a Mac Pro and not so crappy like a Mac Mini.

Go ahead and make a poll, asking if people prefer an expensive AIO with capped hardware or a cheaper full tower desktop with better hardware (made by Apple).

iMacs may have no competition, but that's only because the competitors sell more full tower and more powerful desktops than AIO ****.

18. Bargle macrumors regular

Speak for yourself. I bought it because it's an all in one and I'm sure other apple enthusiasts will say the same.

My new 2011 iMac with an SSD is an absolute beast. People are fools to wait for the mythical 2012. If you are a pro, get a Mac Pro. For everyone else a top of the line iMac is as beautiful as it is awesome.

19. captjon macrumors member

I might be missing something, but a Dell AIO doesn't run Mac OS, right? And if i were to buy one instead of waiting for a new iMac, i'd have to spend way more on new software than any price difference. It isn't a fair comparison.

20. ihuman:D, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

I'm an apple enthusiast and I only buy iMacs because they're more powerful than a Macbook/mac mini and cheaper than a Mac Pro.

21. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I'm people and I have been buying iMacs for years because they're All-In-One. Yes, it being significantly cheaper than a Mac Pro helps, but I do like the form factor and have since the first 24" Al model.

22. MacMilligan macrumors 6502

I'm a developer and the only reason I would be interested in the iMac is because its cheaper than the Mac Pro. The offerings for people in the creative field that need a stationary desktop from Apple are abysmal. I'd love to see a non-xeon workstation processor offered, like the Sandy Bridge-E series (3820 or 3930k would be awesome.) However, the OS doesn't even support them for the most part, so I doubt we will see them.

I ended up building a hackintosh to get by on until Apple gets serious about the Mac Pro line. I simply can't pay $2000+ for an i7-2600 from almost two years ago.

23. RUGERMAN, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

RUGERMAN macrumors regular

I agree with the Iphone part, I'm using a 3GS and love it. when my contract is up I'l upgrade to the 4 for free or possibly the 4S refurbished for $49.
    I'm using an IMac 3.06 C2D and have no need to upgrade. My computer is also my work, but it functions fine, is very fast for what I do and I am able to run 5 or 6 programs, some with several windows and tabs open as well as 2 operating systems with 2 or 3 programs open in XP. This is at the same time and i never have any delays or frustrating waits. I'm happy with a tool that lets me do my work fast and without any delays. When I start to have those problems I'll upgrade no matter what is coming out next week or month.

24. MioPomo macrumors member

I just upgraded to the iPhone 5, because there was no reason not to. That doesn't mean my iPhone 4, that I was using up until Friday, was bad. In fact, that is part of the reason I did upgrade, I was able to sell the 4 for the same price as the subsidized 5. Personally I would have no problem with Apple only releasing iPhones every 2 years because that's the upgrade cycle I'm on. If that were the case it might even make my previous phone be worth more when the new phone is available, since it would only be 1 generation old instead of 2.

The problem is when people don't happen to be on this cycle, or get thrown off for some reason (breakage, theft, etc.). If I was out of contract a year from now, I would be less enthused about buying the 5 when it's a year old, but knowing the next phone was still a year out would help. A annual price drop would be nice to compensate for nothing new.

Which is why the iMac not having been updating yet is so frustrating, I don't know when it's coming (history would have had us believe it would be out months ago).

I have been a Mac owner for 10 years, but I have not yet bought the same line of computer. I stared with an iMac 2002, then got a Powerbook 2004, then a MacBook 2008. I would have had no problem buying an iMac back in March (refurbished) if I knew I still wouldn't have one today. Expecting an upgrade was imminent I waited because why pay the same price for something older if it could be new in a matter of weeks? The longer I wait the less sense it makes to just buy now. Sigh.