Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Parallax. It never really goes away... Enable zoom for a moment in Settings>General>Accessibilty>Zoom>On.

Now... Make sure "Perspective Zoom" is disabled when you set your wallpaper. Return to the home screen. Zoom in. Move the device. The icons still move, yet the wallpaper does not. "Reduce Motion" *fully* eradicates the silly parallax effect, just like "Perspective Zoom" being disabled *should*. However, I like the animations. Getting rid of them just to make the icons stay still isn't really justifyable for me.

Does this annoy anyone besides me? I've noticed this ever since 7.1 when the option to disable "Perspective Zoom" when setting the wallpaper first came around. You don't even need to be zoomed in to see that the icons still move. It's very slight, but ugh - it's just annoying. It probably isn't major, but it possibly could cause extra battery drain, etc.

They should just make things simple and make several toggles for "Recuce Motion" where you can pick and choose what you want moving and what you want staying still. Same for reduce transparency.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Parallax. It never really goes away... Enable zoom for a moment in Settings>General>Accessibilty>Zoom>On.

Now... Make sure "Perspective Zoom" is disabled when you set your wallpaper. Return to the home screen. Zoom in. Move the device. The icons still move, yet the wallpaper does not. "Reduce Motion" *fully* eradicates the silly parallax effect, just like "Perspective Zoom" being disabled *should*. However, I like the animations. Getting rid of them just to make the icons stay still isn't really justifyable for me.

Does this annoy anyone besides me? I've noticed this ever since 7.1 when the option to disable "Perspective Zoom" when setting the wallpaper first came around. You don't even need to be zoomed in to see that the icons still move. It's very slight, but ugh - it's just annoying. It probably isn't major, but it possibly could cause extra battery drain, etc.

They should just make things simple and make several toggles for "Recuce Motion" where you can pick and choose what you want moving and what you want staying still. Same for reduce transparency.

Perspective zoom gets rid of the zooming of the wallpaper in order to perform Parallax. So it only gets rid of the wallpaper motion rather than the icons.

I like parallax, mostly on the iPads where it's more noticeable.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Perspective zoom gets rid of the zooming of the wallpaper in order to perform Parallax. So it only gets rid of the wallpaper motion rather than the icons.

I like parallax, mostly on the iPads where it's more noticeable.

Yeah, parallax would be cool but to me it doesn't look the way it should. It just looks like movement, not a creation of depth. If I close one eye though it looks awesome because I lose depth perception, so my brain is more easily fooled into thinking there is actually space between the icons and the wallpaper.

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013

This perspective zoom should be removed in the first place.. It's creating problems with setting up wallpsper and speed and new people trying to understand what it is.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I wish it could be completely turned off. I like having the app opening/closing + multitasking + unlock animations but the moving icons in the background is just plain annoying, and a resource hog.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
The parallax animation is so jerky. I don't know who they're trying to fool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.