Persuade Me Either Way: To iPad or not to iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tnick777, Nov 3, 2010.

1. tnick777 macrumors regular

tnick777

I've been tossing around the idea of getting an iPad for a long time.

On one hand I'm already set with a MacBook Pro and a 3rd Gen iPod Touch. However for some reason I still find myself researching endlessly and playing with the iPads at the Apple store.

I just wouldn't know if I'd need it or not. If my MacBook Pro is used primarily for school stuff, photoediting, AutoCad, etc... Do I have any reason to get one?

Thanks

2. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

3. unixfool macrumors 6502a

I'm not into persuading anyone...do it yourself. If you're interested, buy it. If you're not, don't. If you buy and find you don't like it, sell it. Common sense stuff.

4. iketeru macrumors member

you're trying to get other people to justify the purchase for you- if you're interested in it that much, save yourself the agony and just buy it. same thing happened to me.

5. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

This needs repeating. Decide for yourself. There's plenty of information on the internet for you to be able to accomplish this.

6. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

Yea, asking such a question in this forum? This guy is asking a question where he knows the answer will be "yes" to justify the purchase.

7. 7thMac macrumors 6502

I sometimes do the same type of continuous researching and it is really a big waste of time. Here's an opportunity to be frugal. You'll be happy with yourself later on.

8. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

People are either Pancake or Waffle. You're definitely waffle.

9. lozpop macrumors 6502

If you are so unsure, it means that you don't see the iPad as a useful product.

Sure, with the iPad you can be productive, but not beyond certain levels. It's a new kind of device, this the why a lot of users don't know how to fit it in their lifestyle.

My answer is: it will find his room in you lifestyle. When you have it, you find a reason to use it every moment. At least I do. And I like it.

If you need a productivity mobile station, buy a MacBook. If you don't need OS X, and you want a mobile device more comfortable than a MacBook to pair with an iMac/MacBook Pro work station, the iPad is heaven.

Oh.. One last thing.. If you need Mac OS X and a semi-productive mobile station, buy the MacBook Air 11.6".

10. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I know a few tarts.

11. tnick777 thread starter macrumors regular

tnick777

Well if you read the OP I already have a macbook pro I bought in March.

-----

I think if there's ever a way to get/rent textbooks on the iPad that's when I'll get it.

12. laksemand macrumors newbie

Don't do it.

When in doubt, don't do it.

(Posted from my iPad - which I adore)

13. lozpop macrumors 6502

Sorry man, I read it quickly. My fault.
    Do you use your MacBook Pro completely as a work station or you take it with you often? What's the display size?

14. tnick777 thread starter macrumors regular

tnick777

Hah it's okay. ;)
    13 inch and I take it everywhere. I have CS5, Office '11, AutoCad, iLife '11 on it so it's set for my productivity.

I think I may hold off until Textbooks on iPad become more "real"... I have 2-4 years left at College :mad: and it'd be nice if someone like Chegg.com or Amazon had an app for college textbook rentals.

Type in your IBSN, tell them how long you want to rent it, it gives you a price for the time, pay, download your books, you have them for the semester.

I'd love that... I'm surprised no company has gone after the concept*

*more viciously.

15. lozpop macrumors 6502

The iPad is a really different product even from the smallest MacBook.
    Anyway, if I had a 13" MacBook Pro, I wouldn't buy an iPad because the MacBook Pro could come quite always with me — as you do.

Instead, if I had a MacBook Pro 17" — maybe also a 15" — I could see it as a "desktop" machine for hard work. In this case I could feel the need of a more mobile and light device like the iPad to carry with me.

For instance, I have an iMac 24". The iPad is the perfect companion — although sometimes I would like to have iPad + OS X. Welcome MacBook Air 11.6".

16. jwhite4304 macrumors member

jwhite4304

+1

17. sweetie81 macrumors regular

I've got a laptop and planning on a MBP. Nevertheless I'd get an iPad not because I need it but because I want it.

It's pure luxury for me and I'm looking forward to it. Treating myself so to speak. Mostly for surfing the web, mail and youtube.

I know I personally can justify that for myself. Am not persuading you either. Be honest to yourself is all I can say.

18. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

We seldom buy something because we 'need' it. We buy it because we want it then use the 'need' to justify the purchase

For me, the iPad is useful when I'm out and about because it saves my Macbook's battery life. It's also fast for pulling out my diary, e mail, to do list, quick web browsing, and Maps. Things it wouldn't be so quick or convenient to do on a laptop.

When I'm in the house I don't tend to use the iPad much, which I know for some people the opposite is true.

The best thing to do is visualise if it will add something to your day, in terms of saving time or adding convenience. If it can do one or the other, it might be the purchase for you. If you find you just 'want' it because it's new and shiny, you'll not find a 'need' to back up the want

19. err404 macrumors 68020

It's very hard to get the rights holders to change direction when the current physical hard cover model is so profitable. I'm sure that it will happen, but it still years away from heavy adoption.

As for the iPad; today it is more of an entertainment/consumption device. But don't think of that as a bad thing. For most people their primary* use for computers at home is also for entertainment/consumption. However compared to other consumption devices like HDTV's home theaters and game consoles, an iPad also works quite well as a mobile productivity tool. I expect it's capability in this area to steadily grow over time.
    For the time being, you will still need a full fledged machine for when you're buckling down to get hings done, but an iPad compliments a full machine quite well.
    Since you are in college, you need a laptop. You don't need an iPad, but you get one, you will get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

*primary - as in hours used, not reason for owning.

20. ViviUO macrumors 6502

I bought mine to use strictly as a debugging device for app development.

Then I took it out of the box ...

Now I use it as a notebook replacement for many tasks and leave my MBP on the desk as a stationary setup. I am very happy with it and glad I picked it up.

And don't worry about the people who claim a new one is coming out soon. It's not exactly hard to sell the current version and buy the next model when that time comes.

21. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

simply put, just get one.

I have a 13 in MBP, IP4 and a 32GB 3G iPad.

I use all at different times and each serves its purpose beautifully!

22. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Yeah, I have a MacBook and find that I'm much more likely to grab the iPad to do things. It's just extremely convenient and self contained.

If you have a big job that is primarily on a computer (ex: big AutoCad project), you'll probably sit at a desk for a couple hours on your main computer (Macbook Pro) grinding away on it. You might have your iPad on at the same time, to check notes, look up stuff, update lists, etc.

If you have light work, like note taking, homework, summarizing a chapter of a (paper) textbook, you'll most likely do that in a comfortable place with your iPad. (Say in the Student Union lounge, crashing on a couch in the dorms, or hanging out at the Library or Starbucks, etc.)

I got my iPad mostly to access websites, but it's really turned into the computer I use most often. I find that eighty plus percent of the time, I don't need a high end laptop or PC. I just need something that gives me access to all my data, but doesn't get in the way of what ever task I'm trying to do. The iPad fits that role nicely.

23. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

hey! can you describe the purpose for each one (except the iphone) you use (im a bit interested and curious)

i have no ipod /apple products .. like seriously no apple products but i am planning to buy the MBP (dad's gift) and well i also want the ipad.. but im really not sure of it..

i definitely want the MBP, but its the "fear" of my dad asking me my "need for it" haha any suggestions anyone?
    at the current moment i want more than need it

24. MsMerryMac, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010

MsMerryMac macrumors regular

My first Apple product was the original iPod Nano. But I wanted more functionality and grabbed the iPod Touch when it came out. And then wanted more functionality, so I bought a MBP. Last week, my husband bought me an iPad and it is fitting into my lineup quite well! :)

I use my Touch for apps like timers, to do's, podcasts and occasionally Netflix. I use my Nano for audiobooks (it slips under the pillow nicely and I now cannot fall asleep without it playing something). My MBP is strictly for writing. Then came the iPad...my total productivity machine with databases, journal, recipes (really great to have in the kitchen), and writing when I am away from my MBP. Netflix also looks dang sweet on the iPad and the speaker is surprisingly good.

It might seem like Apple overload to some, but I am an organization freak and for me each serves a distinct purpose. God help me if Apple comes out with any more coolness.

25. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

And remember, a donut without a hole is a danish