Persuade me that I need one, a fourth one

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UnixChopShop, Aug 31, 2010.

1. UnixChopShop macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

Now I have owned 4 macs in the past:

Macbook G4 13"
    Mac G4 dual core Quicksilver
    Mac Mini (PowerPC)
    Macbook (Intel)

Now I like the idea, but I have never kept any machine longer than approximately 2 months. I WANT to work with it as I despise Microsoft.

I am by trade a Unix admin (Well Midrange, ie Linux, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX etc)

Therefore all my work is done via the commandline or web browsers (ssh, scp, firefox, etc)

I just have hard time adjusting to the differences. Has anyone else found this to be an issue. I mean at present I dual boot between Ubuntu and Windows.

For example, as far as I am aware there is no VMWare VSphere client, no decent ftp software (GUI)

However I now have very little need of a Windows box (Except for invoices for clients for services rendered) This has combined with my Thinkpad T60p becoming unreliable.

I was thinking MBP 13" because I commute daily on the local train and I have a *LOT* of ebooks in PDF form and I like to be mobile and my laptop goes everywhere with me. It's also a lot cheaper than the 15" MBP

Therefore my main concerns are:

Using VSphere (I do a lot of VMWare). WIll I have to dual boot/create a VM with XP.

How to stop myself from selling this 2 days after I bought it for half price (I kid you not!)

Will a 13" MBP be able to run a 24" HP monitor?

Is there a decent app to create PDFs, for example, to create invoices.

Cheers

UCS

2. racketeer71 macrumors regular

Yep. The best way to ensure you'll fallback to Windows, is to dual-boot. You will ALWAYS find it easier to complete a certain task in your usual environment.

Best way to avoid fallback, is to boot into the new OS every time.

Well, if you don't think Transmit from Panic is "decent"...

I believe you can make invoices in Pages, in Numbers, in Excel or Word on OS X. Or in Billings for a more automated workflow.

I would suggest 15" for the extra power.

Or you could use VMWare Fusion or Parallels. No need to dual-boot.

Yes.

Eh... You don't know you're able to "print" to PDF from all print dialogs in OS X? And you've been using OS X for 8 months (4 * 2 months)?

Seriously, with your work, I cannot see any reason for not going the OS X way. You get a nice GUI, and all the well-known CLI tools (without a need for cygwin or dual-boot into Ubuntu) in the same package. Terminal is fine, otherwise iTerm is cool.

But it's a matter of taste, and your regression into Windows-land several times might show that Windows is simply the best OS for your needs.

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

I bought my first mac two days after my windows machine died, I spent two weeks thinking "this is NEVER going to work with me" now almost 3 years down the line I haven't touched a windows machine since that day in october.

4. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Buy the 13" MBP

Hey there,

For sure the 13" MBP is a GREAT choice for you. Take it from someone who's owned most brands of notebooks and ultra portables, I can have any notebook I want, I've tried them all and I keep coming back to the 13" MBP.

ESPECIALLY if you want to take it everywhere and truly enjoy using it without ever feeling that's it heavy or cumbersome. I love my 15" MBP but it sits on a desk, not often used so I should be passing it on to my one of my employee's, which I'll do soon.

The MacBook Air is a dream come true with regards to weight, size, keyboard and screen, but 2gb ram, struggles a bit when you run a 24" ACD from it or do photo editing so it's not quite there for a great take everywhere machine.

The 13" MBP is the sweet spot for the mobile person, from a 'user experience' standpoint, as in keyboard, screen, size, weight it's great. Other notebooks such as Sony Z get attention, I'll never understand why, again from a user experience point view it's far sub par to the 13" MBP, but from the spec's it's at the top. I make my purchases with user experience being as important as the spec's under the hood.

I bet you'll use it more than two days, to be fair you should use it a few weeks before you pass judgement, better yet test/try some other notebooks, such as Sony Z, Lenovo x2/301, Dell's etc. ... I've done that and after being through hell and back again with windows notebooks coming back to a Mac and ending up with the 13" as my go everywhere machine for me there's nothing better.

Thanks to Windows and manufacturers of Windows notebooks I've become an Apple fanboy I guess, I'm happy about that :)

5. UnixChopShop thread starter macrumors newbie

I did it. :eek:

The mac shop separated me from a load of dosh. So far so good. Getting used to some of the quirks!

Once you adjust your way of thinking how the OS works, its quite interesting.

I couldn't quite justify Office and VMWare so I have downloaded OpenOffice and VirtualBox. VirtualBox I am used to, and I only do it as a bit of sandpit testing so its all good.

The only, unchangeable thing is that I really wished I had bought a 15" rather than a 13" but then again, it was almost another £500. I already put down over £1000 after student discount, applecare and a copy of toast!

So I am one of the club again. Thing is, this time it kind of feels different because I know which toys to play with (VideoLan, VirtualBox, Handbrake etc)

UnixChopShop