Persuade me to keep leopard and not downgrade.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by RobertD63, Mar 21, 2008.

1. RobertD63 macrumors 6502

I know this sounds stupid but, After never having a kernel panic i am very PO'ed about getting my 2ED one tonight. Now i am very convinced that it is Leopard and not the mini. Now guys try to convince me not to downgrade. Way to go Apple... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

2. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Downgrade...Tiger is flawless while Leopard still has a few major bugs that have to be worked out.:cool:

+1 for tiger!!

3. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I use Leopard and haven't had any major problems, but I have to agree with the person above me and say that if you're having huge issues, downgrading isn't so bad. Unless you're a major user of the Leopard-only features, you probably won't notice a huge difference.

4. RobertD63 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well two people understand me. I am kind of tired of Leopard. Im tired of the errors and all the CPU usage from browsing freegin youtube. I guess i should downgrade.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I doubt it's Leopard itself. Something went wrong that's affecting Leopard. Try doing a clean install.

6. czachorski macrumors 6502a

czachorski

Second that. The OP's comments sound nothing like my experiences on 2 machines.

7. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

One thing i couldnt go back to is non-scrolling non-active windows!!

i vote for a clean leopard installation, i have never had problems!

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    How much HD space do you have free on your Mini? You don't have much RAM so your HD will be working overtime to accommodate the virtual memory. If you don't have 10% or so free, then that's why your Mac has started to KP. All what errors? How long have you been running Leopard without KPs for you to be so sure that's not the Mini but the OS?

YouTube thanks to the use of Flash does make the processors work but I haven't noticed it to be any worse on Leopard than it was on Tiger.

Couldn't go back though - the poorer Spotlight and the lack of Quick Look would drive me batty.

9. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Question about your installation?

When you went from Tiger to Leopard did you install Leopard as an " UPGRADE " or did you erase your entire Tiger disk and do a fresh install of Leopard?

I ask this because we are running Leopard on 5 Macs here.

C2D 24" iMac ( X2 )
    Macbook 13"
    G4 Powermac
    G4 iBook

On one machine we did have some minor issues, but it was the only one we did an " upgrade " on. Since we erased that disk and did a fresh install of Leopard we have not had issues with that machine.

On the other hand when Leopard first came out I owned a G5 Powermac and did the 'upgrade' on it to see how it would work. ( I planned on selling the Powermac so experimenting on it cost me nothing ) I admit I did not exercise it as hard as I should have ( buyer was anxious to take it home ) but it did not seem to have any issues.

I guess it is a carryover habit from my MS Windows work days but I am no fan of OS 'upgrades', I prefer to wipe the HDD clean and start with a fresh install.

10. RobertD63 thread starter macrumors 6502

This was a new mini with Leopard fresh on it from apple. It has 40 GB of HD left. If i do a fresh install it will erase all my stuff right? I guess i wont downgrade because i only have the PPC Tiger install. I cant wait to get my Black MacBook because Ebay this thing goes!

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Oh, man, how could you even be convinced it's Leopard and not the mini that's the problem?

12. RobertD63 thread starter macrumors 6502

Because i have never had these problems on my old mac mini that ran Leopard. I'll do a fresh install here soon i guess...

13. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Not to throw a whole wrench into this, but my wife got a new (ok, refurbed but new) Macbook a few weeks ago. It came pre-installed with Tiger and had a Leopard drop-in disc. (this is why I believe this was in fact a brand new unit)

Anyway, right out of the box she has 2 kernel panics, and then some other issues. Apple sent a replacement and we have not had 1 singluar issue with the new one. So maybe it is a hardware issue.

14. RobertD63 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well if it does this after the fresh install then i think im screwed. Because i got this in a eBay auction NIB. So i dont know when it was purchased.

15. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

Downgrade now and don't look back. Tiger runs great and Backup still works just fine. I'm not upgrading to "Spots" until I see better reviews. I agree 10.5.2 fixed a bunch of bugs, but there are still a lot of complaints floating around on the blogs and forums. Hopefully 10.5.3 will do it for me.

EDIT: Ooops. I see you don't have a current Tiger Install disc. Oh well... Hope you get it fixed.

16. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Life is too short to live it unhappy. I am very happy with Leopard but if Tiger floats your boat... go for it.

17. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Does it still have Applecare though?

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Leopard has been out for less than a year so....

19. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Get the serial number from about this mac.
    Go to the apple support page, click on the support tab.
    On the lower right hand corner of the page, click on check my warranty and repair options.
    Enter your serial number and country. Click continue.
    Look at paragraph 2. Waranty information about your product.

It may already have applecare on it. If so, yea! Have the prior owner transfer it to you.

It may still be within the original one year period. (If the prior owner registered it, it will go off of that. If not, it will find the manufacture date from the serial number. Then go and buy frakkin applecare on it.

It may be outside of the original one year window. Then, unless the original owner can provide documentation of the original purchase, you're SOL.

20. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

21. NIPRING macrumors 6502

I only have one issue with leopard on my 1.42 mini, the screen saver kicks in every 15 minutes (which is how its supposed to be) even when i'm in the middle of typing. Never happened with panther or tiger, just leopard. But, i figure i did the "upgrade" from panther to tiger and then another "upgrade" to leopard. But maybe its time for a fresh clean install.

22. nhcowboy1 macrumors 6502

OP has 1.83 ghz C2D - this was not even introduced until August 2007. All OP has to do is check the serial number, call Apple, send it in for repair/replacement. It's still under one-year warranty. (Well, assuming it was purchased somewhere and not stolen . . . . ) OP can buy Applecare if he wants to, but it isn't needed for repairs within the one-year window.

23. RobertD63 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well i reinstalled leopard.. Im slowly going though and re doing my bookmarks and settings. I tell you guys how it works out.

24. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Third that. :)

25. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964