Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AngryApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
I want a tarantula. BAD. I'm even willing to shell out big bucks from my MacBook Pro fund for one. Any ideas on how to convince them to let me buy one? I already have a fish tank that would work well as a cage for one. My parents' main reason for not letting me get one is because they are afraid of spiders. They're also afraid that it might get out and uhhh...eat them or something.

So, any amazing ideas for persuading them?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I think this is a classic case of what is novel today is not novel tomorrow. Consider why you really want one and what you can do with it and then explain THAT to the parents.

AngryApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
I know I sound like an idiot using the term bad. I just tend to become really obsessive about things and a tarantula is my new obsession.

laughingperson5

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2009
Uhh... EWWW. TARANTULAS ARE GROSS! :D
Alright back to the point. Say stuff like. "It'll teach me responsibility. Less hassle than other animals. Blah blah blah."

STSNorthstar

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2008
I know I sound like an idiot using the term bad. I just tend to become really obsessive about things and a tarantula is my new obsession.

There is your answer. It's jsut an obsession, which means that a lot of times, ina week, the obsession dies, and the animal gets neglected becasue its a pain. It's not fair to the animal, or, in this case, spider.

Heres what you do. Wait 3 months. If you still want it just as badly, then get it. If not, then you've got your real and final answer.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
on the positive side, tarantulas are not really poisonous so no one is going to die because of it (the only real danger they poise is a bad allergic reaction). However, they still can bite (like a bad bee sting) and have urticant hairs, so you can't really handle them much (they are also kind of fragile and reclusive).

remember that they can live a long time (upward of 15 years) and require consistent (if easy) care: constant temperature and humidity, live food, etc.

so are you ready to commit for the next 10+ years? can you bring pets to the college you'll be attending? who's going to feed it the (live) crickets when you are on vacation?

ikermalli

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
Do you know all the care needs?

Do you know how long it lives for?

Do you know what size cage it needs?

Do you know that you will not lose interest in it?

My parents are scared of lizards, they let me get one, after I had done about 45+ hours of research on the species I want. I now have one, and have done about 80+ hours of research since then, but I know as I go along in high school I will lose interest in it. I am going to be giving him away so he gets proper care (which he is getting now) and someone who would really like one but cannot afford one. Make sure you have a plan to give him away to a good owner before you get your tarantula.

CHAOS STEP

macrumors 6502
Can't you just take more care of for your existing house spiders?

Like big Steve here, he crawled across my pillow and I heard him scratching up my wall (where he nearly slipped down trying to go over a poster).

A few moments (and a little cry) later I managed to skip down the hall and get a tub. When I returned, Stevey was moonwalking on my ceiling. I missed my first attempt to encase him in the tub (because he was half upon my coving), he then fell off onto my BARE FOOT whereupon a let out a little girly scream, but collected my thoughts and shortly thereafter made good the capture.

... turns out his cousin lives down the road in smelly Dave from the pub's house. Small world.

Attachments

• photo-72.jpg
    photo-72.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 86

AngryApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
Can't you just take more care of for your existing house spiders?

Like big Steve here, he crawled across my pillow and I heard him scratching up my wall (where he nearly slipped down trying to go over a poster).

A few moments (and a little cry) later I managed to skip down the hall and get a tub. When I returned, Stevey was moonwalking on my ceiling. I missed my first attempt to encase him in the tub (because he was half upon my coving), he then fell off onto my BARE FOOT whereupon a let out a little girly scream, but collected my thoughts and shortly thereafter made good the capture.

... turns out his cousin lives down the road in smelly Dave from the pub's house. Small world.

...uh...If I saw that thing in my house I would step on it! Unless I knew what species of spider it was.

Hayduke60

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2009
Tell your parents that it's an 8 legged hamster......with fangs. No parent can say no to a hamster.

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
I know I sound like an idiot... I tend to become really obsessive... a tarantula is my new obsession.
Read what you wrote - does this sound like a good idea?

What happens to your tarantula when you've moved on to your next obsession?

When I was a kid (...i've just turned old with one sentence...) I'd be interested in something new every month. My parents started a new rule with me - anything I wanted to purchase, I could not buy for 3 months. If after 3 months, I still wanted it, then I could have it. There were of course exceptions to this rule - but I never got the glass blowing studio I so greatly coveted as a teenager.

Needless to say, this cut down on their costs considerably.

There is your answer. It's jsut an obsession, which means that a lot of times, ina week, the obsession dies, and the animal gets neglected becasue its a pain. It's not fair to the animal, or, in this case, spider.

Heres what you do. Wait 3 months. If you still want it just as badly, then get it. If not, then you've got your real and final answer.

i like you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.