Persuasive Speech - Get a Mac. (Outline Intro Added)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iMJustAGuy, Apr 15, 2010.

1. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

So I am writing a persuasive speech essay for one of my (easier) college classes and I am doing it on getting a mac (over a PC obviously). I am going to have my 27 in the front of the class displayed on a table next to a PC tower with wire everywhere for my visual aid - however I won't really be interacting with it as this is a speech, not a demonstration.

I would just like some help as to how to open my speech, things I should highlight, what I should say, and any other helpful posts. I googled it and found more links than I thought I would actually, but most were dated, and I would just like some fresh new opinions from my MR family... Thanks! :)

-Dale

2. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Well first list some points here you are thinking of using. In other words, why get a Mac vs. a PC? What is your outline of reasoning?

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

There are also other AIOs, not just the iMac. Sony and Dell for example make some.

So, while the visual comparison might be neat, it is not completely true.

Btw, why does it need to be a persuasive speech?

You could compare the aspects you find easier to accomplish in Mac OS X than in Windows, and better not use an old Windows version, as Windows 7 (while still strange in my eyes) seems to have better user reception.

4. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Well I know I am going to talk about design, about reliability, and I am going to say something about better support from Apple because Apple makes their own computers so they know their stuff , while Windows has to support hundreds of different hardware configs. I am going to compare a mac and PC to cars... its like a toyota and a bmw, they both get you from point A to B - type comparison. I'm not sure what else which is why I'm here :)

It has to be a persuasive. And I think the Dell and Sony AIO's look dreadful it's not just the AOI aspect that I think makes it nice.

5. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Straight from the horse's mouth.

There are some pretty obvious yet very good reasons listed there on why one should get a Mac vs. a PC.

There are some cool facts here too.

Also you need to see the other side too. It will help you see where PC users are coming from so that you are ready to argue their points as well.

6. spinnerlys, Apr 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2013

spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I agree, those things look fugly, but for many people, design is not that important.

May I know, why it has to be persuasive? I'm just curious, are you a salesman?

Even though you might focus on the positive aspects of using Mac OS X, don't forget to include some negative ones, to give balanced feel and not sound like a so-called fanboy.

7. IntheNet, Apr 15, 2010

IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Recommend you start with a Topic Sentence that summarizes your argument (recall EN 101 and Toastmasters lessons), and proceed into short summary sentences in your essay that encapsulate your belief. If your advocacy is Mac over PC, cite tangible differences audience will understand (ease of use, intuitive menus, immunity from most viruses, etc.). Anticipate and buttress points about PC with counterbalancing arguments for Mac.

Visual aides help a speech but they do not make the speech - you do. Consider having a companion PC to display, next to your 27, to add balance; your instructor will likely add points for fair discussion.

Apple's "Switcher" section (I think it's still there) should be your primary resource as well as other Apple page resources (Why A Mac? for example). Other sites exist to provide you more than enough reference material. But your essay/speech will likely be graded upon delivery and that's your chore. Practice delivery of speech a couple times. Anticipate questions before they are given. Learn to pronounce all words you use so delivery is crisp. Don't reference Apple's coolness factor over PC but rather cite real usage data and how utilitarian one platform/OS is over another; cite a variety of persuasive arguments. Touch on software and hardware. End essay restating your Topic sentence and be prepared for questions from audience.

Good luck...

8. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

One thing I always like to tell people is an advantage with Apple is that it's like you're getting a custom tailored computer. One company makes the hardware and the software, which is why the integration is so tight. On the other hand, with a PC, the software (Windows at least) has to be made open-ended enough to work with any variety of hardware from any number of manufacturers. OS X is built to work on Macs, period.

Microsoft tries to be all things to all people, which is why their operating systems in general are out of control. The simple things that most people want to do are just easier on a Mac.

9. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Wow... REALLY HELPFUL. Thanks! Keep em comin! :p

10. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I would include something about the integration of Mac products. You have an iPad, iPod, etc. Start out by doing something like picking up your iPad, putting in a new business contact and syncing your calendar/contacts across your Apple line.

11. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

Beat me to it lol. Great minds think alike I guess...:)

12. RawBert, Apr 15, 2010

RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

iMJustAGuy, Try reading this...

Wait a minute, it looks like you already did...

"Random Person??";)

13. Quad SLi 295 macrumors member

Quad SLi 295

But Can it Play Crysis?

If you're giving a speech at uni, in front of a lecture theater it's best to be prepared for a few questions on the subject.

First and foremost would be the topic of my post:
    Can it Play Crysis?

Second:
    Can it play Blu-Ray movies?

Third
    Is it SLi or Cross-Fire compatible?

Forth
    Aside from Final Cut Pro, what other mac exclusive software titles, would persuade a professional cash conscious user to consider purchase of mac over a PC. (The inclusion of iMovie, iDVD and Garage band, cannot be considered professional grade programs for the sake of your response.)

Now the problem is that uni students are avid gamers, and movie buffs, and out to trounce on anyone given the chance.

Now here are 2 possible responses to the first 2 questions:
    1: The apple mac has been seen as an expanding game platform, with the Entire Seam catalog now available for apple mac.

2: Like Apples initial reluctance to commit to either DVD+R or -R, apple has been holding off to determine who would win the HD format war, and for 3D-Standards to be finalized before full support is given.

3: Can't help you there.
    4: I'm stumped

Now there are plenty more questions that will be flung at you but I'll bet my left nut these to are asked. Just be ready. Unfortunately your topic (with visual aids) is almost purely based on the "won't a mac look prettier on your desk than a PC?" train of thought. Which to be honest is a bit thin on the ground.

Personally I'd have selected a new topic such as Why containerized, modular Russian developed Lead-Bismuth cooled nuclear reactors would make an ideal power source for remote communities and mine sites. At least then no-one will have a technical objection, and if done properly "mentioning environmental benefits," you can discount the predictable hippie No Nukes response.

Jordan

P.S:
    Yeah, you probably don't want to mention that, or think that. However if you feel that, I recommend a trip too your local doctor.

14. No1451, Apr 16, 2010

No1451 macrumors 6502

Don't bother with that, it is not a fair or strong argument. For the price they command, Macs have more in common with boutique builders than mass produced Dell or Acer products

15. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Err... no. Intel chips, NVIDIA graphics, Seagate hard drives... it's all in the software.

16. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

:(...i'm lonely... *sniff* ...i need help... *single tear rolls down cheek*

17. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Show a USB memory stick.

Tell everyone it's infected with a virus. Ask for volunteers to plug it into their computers.

Then plug it into your Mac.

For best effect, find a virus that does something obvious, and then infect your demo PC with it.

18. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

Am I the only one that thinks that giving a speech about your computer preference is a terrible idea for a class?

19. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Nope. Especially if he is going to compare an AIO to a desktop tower. Thats like comparing a laptop to a desktop and claiming the laptop is better because it weighs less. Bragging about how clean the iMac is compared to a tower is flawed from the start. Compare like products if you want to do it right.

Then wait for a classmate to pull a pci device out of his bag and ask him if it will work better with the pc tower or the imac.

20. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

It's supposed to be for a more comical purpose... I will not be comparing an all in one to a "desktop" in my speech, only in my visual aide. Second this is for a 1 credit speech class. Third - I am doing it regardless I just asked for opinions on what to say - not if I should do it or not. I will be talking about why mac is better, not why an AIO is better than a desktop.

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I sure hope you are getting compensated by Apple...

If it were me, I would do a topic on say global warming; nuclear disarmament; ccw on college campuses; eminent domain; etc something that is not an advert for a company....but that's just me

regardless with what you do, good luck

if you insist on apple, loads of info on the apple site...obviously

22. Quad SLi 295 macrumors member

Quad SLi 295

Read my post again, I suggested giving a talk on the economical benefits of using Russian nuclear reactors to power remote sites as a better alternative.

It's a dead end topic.
    Jordan

23. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I just wanted to pick something I am very familiar with. A topic that I know and have passion for. It would make it much easier and make me less nervous in front of the class. I always say I don't care about being in front of people (metally I don't) but when I get up there my voice always gets shaky and I don't know why so then the entire speech I am focusing on that which makes my speech suck.

24. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

We have to turn in an outline but only present the speech. What do you guys think of this intro? Flaws/Changes I need to make IYO? Anything you think I should throw in?
    After "A" I am going to throw in "I am going to assume you were using a PC", hehe. Again, this is just the outline, not word for word what I will say.

YIKES!!!! I used "Mac" WAY too much... will fix.

Attached Files:

25. CalBoy, Apr 18, 2010

CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Statement A needs a "not" between "did" and "respond."

I'm not crazy about statement B. If this is a speech, statement A should be enough to get the audience "with you" in terms of understanding PC frustration. It's pretty obvious that we can relate to the problems you described; we don't need to be told that.

Statement D needs to be changed. Stating your goal so explicitly is somewhat tasteless. Imagine if Jobs got on stage and said, "it's my goal to make you overpay for whatever I'm about to present." If your speech is effective, we'll figure out your goal pretty quickly, and we won't mind listening to the rest.

Statement E needs to be one sentence, and the enumeration needs to go. The order needs to be switched as well. If you want to go out strong, I suggest making the "saving you time and money" point the final one, as it is the one that most directly addresses the frustrations you made us remember with statement A. Also, the "just works" idea is a subset of Macs being easy, and of them saving you time. Be sure your ideas are adequately separated or else it's going to seem as if you're simply rehashing the same points over and over.

Don't mean to sound harsh, but my show is about to start and I needed to get all of that out before 9! :p Good luck. :)