peryn 2.4ghz macbook pro 5400 hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zeiter, Oct 19, 2010.

1. zeiter macrumors 6502

Hi there,

My computer is the last model of the silver keys MBP, with a 2.4ghz c2d processor. I have two questions:

If they update the mbp 13 inches to a i3 eventually, is the i3 2.4ghz much faster than the c2d processor or should I just keep the computer that I have now? What would be a better update? I am considering a 13mbp model when they upgrade it because I need smaller computer because I will be traveling quite a lot and I have a nice 24 inches screen to plug it in when i come back home.

Secondly, I bought a WD passport 320gig external hard drive with USB2. When I use time machine to backup, it transfers very slow at like 10mb/s on average..sometimes it freezes at for like a minute and then it jumps to 30mb/s. I was wondering if this was normal, if my MBP uploads to USB 2 speeds or maybe I am just asking too much. I am using the cable provided by WD.

Thank you

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

the i3 really won't be a whole lot faster than the C2D. In some cases, yes, but generally not much better. As far as the hard drive, that's probably time machine's fault, as mine does that occasionally as well, and I have a completely different drive.

3. toxic macrumors 68000

an i3 2.4 will be noticeably faster (10-20% faster at the same clock) if you do anything CPU-intensive. if you just browse the web and word process, you likely won't notice a difference.

USB 2 is slow and inconsistent, so I don't think that's anything unusual. it might be the device as well, if it's a self-powered 2.5" drive.

4. 123macman macrumors member

I recommend keeping the computer when it is updated because the i3 will be not that much faster and if the computer still suits your needs then why get a new one.

5. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

because the screen has white batches, the superdrive doesn't work well, it's dented and the battery is almost dead...so I won't pay $5-600 to repair a 3 years old computer...

6. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I'll tell you this: If you feel like you need/want a new computer, and have the funds to do so, then go out and buy a new MBP. End of story.