pesky icon won't go away

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gereric usernam, May 1, 2010.

1. gereric usernam macrumors newbie

I've got at&t dsl and my old 2wire gateway went toes up. My new one (2Wire 2701 HG-B) came in the mail while I was at work and so my wife set it up. I'm not sure what she did but now I have a '2Wire DSL Setup Tool' icon on my desktop that I can't get rid of. It's one of those that looks like a white hard disk icon.

If I click on it a window comes up that says 2Wire Setup Tool and has the little Applications icon in it. If I click that then it warns me that it is an application downloaded off the Internet. It gives me 'go to web page', 'cancel', and 'open' options. If I click open then it just runs the tool, opens Safari and tells me everything is OK.

I've tried dragging the icon to the trash to eject but each time I start my MBP it shows up again with the same warning.

My 'show hard disks' option in Finder is unchecked.

I've gone into Applications and tried to rectify the problem there to no avail.

My Internet works fine, I'm just tired of this tool coming up every time I start my computer and giving me that warning about opening it.

It's driving me crazy--HELP!!:eek:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's a disk image (DMG). Have you dragged the application in there into the Applications folder on your Mac and run that application from there, or do you execute the program from that DMG?

After you have dragged the application into your Applications folder, you can safely eject the DMG via CMD+E or dragging it to the Trash or right clicking on it and selecting EJECT.

Or have you done those steps already and the DMG returns no matter what?

3. gereric usernam thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I've already tried dragging it to Applications and am still having the problem. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong though. I am fairly new to Mac. I've used Final Cut Studio extensively at work but this is my first personal Mac so I'm still figuring it out.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

So you already have ejected it, but it comes back on startup?

Do you have to use a USB stick for internet access?

5. gereric usernam thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I don't have to use a usb stick for Internet access.

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Check your start up items to see if it's included, if so, remove it there and then eject it from the desktop, it shouldn't be coming back after that.

7. gereric usernam thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I check my start up items? Once I do that how do I remove it from there?

8. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Which version of OS X are you using? On my iMac with OS X 10.4.11 it's in System Preferences, Accounts, Login Items tab. There will be a list of items, simply select the one you want to get rid of so it's highlighted and press the "-" (minus) button at the bottom.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

10. gereric usernam thread starter macrumors newbie

The only thing that show up there is iTunesHelper.

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

So to summarize the problem, as I am still confused (English is not my native language),

you have a new modem, the 2Wire 2701 HG-B, which your wife did install,
    you have an icon looking like this on your Desktop
    [​IMG]
    with the name 2Wire Setup Tool beneath it,
    which you can* eject, but it shows up on every start up?

What are the contents of the DMG? Is it an application or an installer?
    If it is an application, has it already been dragged to the Applications folder?
    If it is an installer, has it already been used to install whatever it wants to install?

I'm sorry, if I'm repeating myself with these questions, but this thread hasn't been that clear, so if you could answer those questions, we might get closer to a solution.

* If you can't, is the any application running, that has something to do with that DMG, and if you close that application, will the DMG eject?

Or do what DewGuy1999 suggests first in the post after mine.

12. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Okay, so that's not the solution.

Do you have the icon on your desktop right now? If so, click on it so it's selected then press Command + I to Get Info on it. Under General it should have Disk Image: with the path to the .dmg file. Find that file, put it in the trash. That .dmg file is the source of the mounted disk image on the Desktop. Eject the icon off the Desktop. Empty trash. Restart your Mac and see if it returns.

13. gereric usernam thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes!

DewGuy, that seems to have solved the problem. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Thanks you guys for all your diligence and help! :D

14. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It seems that helped.

But how can a DMG return after a restart? I sometimes have several DMGs mounted and they are gone after I had to restart, so that issue escapes me. Can you shed some light on that please?

15. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Glad to hear that worked, although I still don't understand why the system was auto-mounting the dmg, I've never heard of that before.

I've also got AT&T DSL with a 2Wire 2701 HG-B, although it's been a couple of years since I set mine up. Here's a site, First install of a 2Wire 2700HG-B (#14083), that offers a blow-by-blow explanation of the setup if you're interested in how that dmg fit into the scheme of things.

16. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I wish I could explain that, but I can't as I've never seen it happen before. My logic in use here was that since it was a disk image on his Desktop that it had to be coming from a dmg that was mounting at startup, therefore removing the dmg would eliminate the disk image. Since, his DSL is working fine and the dmg is only used for the initial setup of AT&T DSL I didn't think there would be any harm in deleting it.

17. woodenbrain macrumors member

I've been having this issue lately on 10.6.4. .dmgs that were ejected just before restart re-mount after restart. it's rather weird. it's not any particular .dmg, it's happened with several different installer .dmgs on different reboots.

typically when i update software, i'll mount the dmg, then move the .dmg file to an archive location, then install, then eject. if necessary restart. in my case my guess is it might have to do with my practice of moving the .dmg file while the .dmg is mounted (when it was in a different location, the dl folder).

Anyway, no big deal but annoying enough to google it and wind up here.

18. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I don't have any real idea why it's remounting itself after a restart but I imagine it has something to do with your workflow. I think the answer to your problem is that you should move the .dmg file to it's new location before mounting it, or move it to it's new location after dismounting it.