Pet peeve with Today

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by iBlazed, Dec 11, 2014.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

This is an issue daily for me this time of year. When I pull down the "Today" menu, and I just want to see the temp outside, it tells me everything I DON'T want to know.

"Cloudy currently. The high will be 36º. Mostly Cloudy tonight with a low of 27º."

Thank you, I have a window in my house, lots of them actually. I know it's cloudy out. I also don't care about today's high and tonight's low, if I did I would open the weather app to get those details. All I want to know is the current outdoor temperature, I don't need an essay. Common sense, Apple.

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

See, that is information that is important to me because it determines whether it's going to be a good idea to go outside or not, or to even do something ahead of time.

3. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

Not an Apple thing. Mine says the current temp, and what the forecast is:

"Rain today. It's currently 61 degrees; the high will be 64 degrees."

4. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

I agree. That is why I use a different weather widget.

Most of the time, it won't have the current temp (at least in my case).

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

If you want something a little more simple, this is BeWeather's widget (It uses WU's data, so it's weather station based):

Image.png

You can change the two bottom lines to be: Reported At, Feels Like, Hi/Lo, Wind, Humidity, Pressure, Dew Point, Visibility, and UV.

You might just want the Wind and Visibility.

6. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

It varies. Sometimes is does show the current temperature. I wish they made it say the same thing every time though.

Maybe I'll get that. If I do, it would be my very first widget. I've never been a big fan of widgets and this is a function so simple that I feel Apple's stock notification center should have no problem doing it without a third party widget. But apparently Apple feels differently.

7. bgro macrumors 6502a

BeWeather 2 is the best weather app imo. I spent like $20 on different weather apps until i found this one. love the customization it provides (especially for the widget).

I also wish apple alllowed you to remove the date from the notification center today screen. Looks terrible and is useless for me with all my other widgets

8. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

I have never NOT had it give me the current temp. But your OP makes it seems as if the current temp never displays for you, and that Apple intentionally made the Today widget without that info.

Perhaps you should have made it more clear that SOMETIMES it won't display the current temp. That sounds like a bug, and such an accurate portrayal of the issue might help diagnose and fix the issue. Are others having the same problem? How often does it occur? Is it a location-based issue?

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Right? I can't stand the date either. I will probably jailbreak again when 8.2 comes out to get rid of it. It doesn't make sense with the Fantastical widget.

The only thing I don't like about BeWeather 2 is that they removed the webcams. That was a cool feature. It's very simplistic compared to the Android version too. I used to love opening it up and seeing all the lightning and rain. Tons of fun.

10. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I tend to defend Apple mostly but I'm on your side in this case.

I don't know which brainiac at Apple thought it would be cool to replace a sunny/cloudy/rainy icon with temps as numbers with this Town crier type reporting.

11. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Yeah it really doesn't make sense. And usually these minor annoyances are something you can getting around without thinking twice about them. But this particular flaw is very much in my face every morning when I want to check the outdoor temperature. And again, I'm not big on third party widgets, I like to keep things stock.

12. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

Spoke too soon. Just checked again because I was curious, and it gave me all sorts of info OTHER than the current temp. I stand corrected.

13. Beelzbub macrumors regular

14. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Yahoo Weather has a nice widget as well. That's what I use.

I like it too because it uses the same weather information as the Apple Weather app.

15. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

Yahoo! is no longer the weather app's source. Weather Channel is now feeding Apple's app.