Peter Falk dies at 83

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacNut, Jun 24, 2011.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

Jan 4, 2002
    Peter Falk, the actor most famous for portraying shrewd, but unassuming television detective Frank Columbo, has died at the age of 83, a family spokesperson confirmed.

A family spokesman confirmed the development to CBS News, saying the iconic actor died Thursday night.

Falk, born in New York City to a Polish storekeeper, began acting as a teenager at summer camp in upstate New York. Surgery to remove a malignant tumor when he was just three years old left him with a glass eye, which he often joked about. In a 1997 interview with Cigar Aficianado magazine, Falk recalled a story from his childhood involving the prosthetic.

"I remember once in high school the umpire called me out at third base when I was sure I was safe. I got so mad I took out my glass eye, handed it to him and said, 'Try this.' I got such a laugh you wouldn't believe."
  2. Lord Blackadder, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011

Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    I grew up with Columbo, my father was a big fan. Falk was also very funny in Murder By Death, and of course he had a classic role in The Princess Bride.

Sad to see him go.
  3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

Jan 4, 2002
    I enjoyed Columbo too, it was one of those crime dramas with just the right amount of humor.
  4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

Aug 17, 2007
    My mom and I used to watch Columbo. I always thought he was a good actor.
  5. codymac macrumors 6502

Jun 12, 2009
  6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Jul 29, 2008
    The Far Horizon
    Colombo was great; I loved watching it when I was growing up, great character, and yes, a very good actor to successfully play such a part.
  7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
  8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

Mar 22, 2008
    On tenterhooks

These johnny-come-lately copycats should have been paying him royalties. :mad:

R.I.P. Peter. :(
  9. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    A unique and original guy
    I always enjoyed him
  10. skunk macrumors G4

Jun 29, 2002
    Republic of Ukistan
    Not forgetting Wings of Desire, of course.
  11. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

Mar 8, 2009
    Sad news. I loved Columbo, even though it was well before my time. It's been on UK day time TV on and off for years, and I remember it as one of the few good things about being ill and off school.
  12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

Mar 22, 2008
    On tenterhooks
    Maybe tomorrow I'll put up a Youtube of Kevin Pollak "doing" Columbo. :)
  13. Melrose Suspended

Dec 12, 2007
    I loved his role in The Princess Bride and Murder By Death..

RIP Peter. :(
  14. RonPrice, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

RonPrice macrumors newbie

Jun 11, 2006
    George Town Tasmania
    Peter falk r.i.p.

Peter Falk(1927-2011) appeared in more than 50 films and so is remembered by many a film-buff, but above all and to millions of TV fans, he is, or rather was, the titular and irascible, rumpled and eccentric Los Angeles police detective: the homicide cop Lieutenant Frank Columbo. For this role he won four Emmy awards. Falk died on 24 June at 83 due to complications from Alzheimer's disease.

There is something especially cruel about knowing that a mind-robbing disease like Alzheimer's was what took Falk's life. Still he was still acting until 2009. In all of his roles, but especially Columbo, his was always the most perspicacious face on screen. Keenly intelligent and watchful, he was a warmer, a menschier, a more humble Sherlock Holmes, a man whose mind operated on a higher level than most of his police associates and others in that who-dun-it world loved by millions and watched now by billions every week.

Dana Stevens wrote in the online magazine Slate(1) that nothing got by Peter Falk and his hyper-alert vigilance always seemed to emerge from an underlying stillness, a state of openness to his fellow actors and to the moment. Stevens talked about Falk’s films and special scenes in the films, scenes that highlighted his talents. I’ll let you read her fine obit about the Peter Falk she remembers: a man who doggedly felt his way to the truth, that is the truth about the fictional murder of the week, and the truth of the scene. Squinting at his interlocutor with his one good eye, and listening, Falk came into our worlds week after week. His physical trademark of one eye enhanced his detective's image as a dishevelled, oddball crime sleuth. -Ron Price with thanks to (1) Dana Stevens, Brow Beat: Slate's Culture Blog, 24 June 2011.

Some said he was a boomer icon of
    the ‘70s and like a grandfather to a
    generation of kids, like my son who
    was born in ’77 and grew up on the
    gravelly-voiced, rumpled, meandering
    but brilliant mystery-solver. He’d been
    in my world since the ‘60s & made his
    Columbo debut in ’71 on NBC, the year
    I arrived in Australia for the Baha’is and
    the kids in schools in Whyalla Australia.

That MA you got in ’53, when I was only
    9 and in love with both baseball & with
    at least 3 girls, was really not used for
    your movie career which made you a pot
    of real gold & fame-the desire of millions.

Ron Price
    27 June 2011
  15. Theydonboi macrumors member

Jun 22, 2011
    RIP Peter.

But Columbo's first name is not Frank..
  16. jaduff46 macrumors regular

Mar 3, 2010
    Second star on the right....
    Other than "Just one more thing...", one of my favorite scenes of his is from "The In Laws" where he's talking to the cab driver in the cafeteria about what it's like to work for the CIA.

First, outrageous that anyone openly admits working there.

Second, when he's describing the benefits and retirement program and says "The real key to the retirement program is staying alive. Yep, that's the key."
  17. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

Jul 30, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland