Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
You've probably already read about it:

NEW YORK*Apr 5, 2005 —*Peter Jennings revealed Tuesday that he is suffering from lung cancer and plans to continue on "World News Tonight" as much as possible after beginning chemotherapy next week. Jennings, ABC's chief anchorman since 1983, was replaced by Elizabeth Vargas on Tuesday but taped a message telling viewers about his diagnosis.

"I will continue to do the broadcast," he said. "On good days, my voice will not always be like this. Certainly, it's been a long time. And I hope it goes without saying that a journalist who doesn't value deeply the audience's loyalty should be in another line of work."

A former smoker who quit 20 years ago, Jennings resumed smoking briefly after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. The 66-year-old anchor was too ill to work Saturday during the network's special report on Pope John Paul II's death. He hasn't been feeling well the past few months, and didn't travel under doctor's orders after December's tsunami because of what was described then as an upper respiratory infection.
Link

And so now we face the very real possibility that the last of the "big three" anchors will retire. In another article at CNN, it's stated that the prognosis for patients such as Jennings is not very good.

I've gotta admire his desire to work as much as he can, however. I've always liked the guy, and it's a terrible shame that 9/11 drove him back to the cancer sticks. Guess we all cope in our own ways, but geez... :(

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
This is such bad news. He's a high profile figure and the best thing from this is he is in the position to bring more public awareness to lung cancer, and cancer in general.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Cancer sucks.

My mother in law has advanced lung cancer. 6 months from diagnosis. Through all the treatment the only effects she has had was loosing her hair and coughing up a little blood.

There are new drugs which are very good at fighting the cancer. There are drugs which are good at fighting the side effects.

Look to see him doing epo commericials in a year or so.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Lacero said:
He's a high profile figure and the best thing from this is he is in the position to bring more public awareness to lung cancer, and cancer in general.
I would like to believe that this would draw more attention to the health risks associated with smoking, but good grief. We've had umpteen years' worth of Surgeon General's warnings right there on the carton (e.g. "Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that smoking may cause your limbs to shrivel up and fall off") and people still don't seem to get it.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Lyle said:
I would like to believe that this would draw more attention to the health risks associated with smoking, but good grief. We've had umpteen years' worth of Surgeon General's warnings right there on the carton (e.g. "Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that smoking may cause your limbs to shrivel up and fall off") and people still don't seem to get it.
I agree with you on that one. It's amazing that people continue to start smoking when they know the health risks. There aren't that many left smoking who started before all the Surgeon General's warnings.

I know there was a thread here awhile back on "who's a smoker" or something like that, but I never read it. I probably should just to get people's feedback on why they do it - it's something that is difficult for me to comprehend.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Eh. You think differently when you're young. Many teens who try cigarettes for the first time readily acknowledge that it tastes like smokestack exhaust, but if everybody you hang with is doing it, and you want to be one of the gang, the temptation level may be greater than your revulsion to the smell/taste.

My sons both got hooked that way. Both quit, but one has gone back to smoking...and I hope (as mentioned above) the publicity about Jennings will scare him into renewing his efforts to quit.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I wasn't aware that he smoke before this either.

My prayers are with him and his family. I totally disagree with all his views, but he is still a human being. Would be interested to know the actual type of lung cancer that he was diagnosed with. The type will have everything to do with treatment and prognosis. The treatment can often be worse than the disease from personal experience as a nurse. :(

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Another unfortunate man who has fallen victim to cancer sticks. My grandfather died of Emphysema from smoking, though he had quit 5 years or so before that. If I had one wish, it would be that these things are wiped from the face of the Earth. Nothing good has come from cigarretes...ever...

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Ham_man said:
Another unfortunate man who has fallen victim to cancer sticks. My grandfather died of Emphysema from smoking, though he had quit 5 years or so before that. If I had one wish, it would be that these things are wiped from the face of the Earth. Nothing good has come from cigarretes...ever...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. My maternal grandfather also had Emphysema an TB. He was in World War I. Smoked all of his life. He died at a VA hospital. Remember him fondly as the one that taught me to ride a bicycle.

Dying of emphysema, lung cancer, or any other lung disease is a very painful way to die. It's very anxiety producing not being able to breath, essentially suffocating. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.