Peter Moore on 'teh console warZ' [good read]

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by zero2dash, Sep 6, 2007.

1. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6178276.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newscallout&tag=newscallout;callout

Specifically this was supposed to be an EA related interview but Gamespot sure did turn it into a 'console warZ thoughts' interview quickly.

A few of the better quotes from Mr. Moore:

I really like Peter Moore. He has a grasp on the faults within the industry IMO...industry wide, not just specific to one platform or another.

I liked him when he was with Sega during the Dreamcast days, I liked him at Microsoft, and he'll be an asset to EA. I have some optimism with EA turning around and looking a little better in the eyes of the hardcore gamer who generally (myself included) sees EA as 95% of what's wrong with the industry and 5% of what's right...I think Peter Moore can turn that around for them, at least the overall consensus of what people think about EA.

2. ChrisK018 macrumors regular

Shouldn't all of EA's games for the holidays done and ready to roll? Is that what he means by "interesting?" --as in-- how everything will pan out?

I have not bought an EA game in a decade.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

A man of good taste ;)

4. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

He hit the nail on the head with what each console needs to do to sell better.
    But i would say in addition to his statements that the 360 should just have the premium and elite models, and sort out all the three red light problems with cooler chips and that extra heatsink. Sony needs some killer apps besides Resistance and soon. And the wii needs to get its act together in the online department.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ I'm wondering if the new premiums with HDMI and 65nm technology run cooler ? Might have to update my remaining core. :)

6. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

According to wikipedia, all 360s still use 90 nm chips. They added a heatsink, which fixed a lot of problems, but i didn't think they had added the 65 nm chips yet :confused:

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Whilst EA are pretty crap as it stands, that SSX Blur is quite a fun game. Could be oh-so improved and the controls refining. Hopefully it stands as a corner stone to where EA went good again?

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Some seem to report that some new models appear to have 'falcon' technology others are reporting otherwise.

So it's all a bit ambiguous at the moment. Will wait till after xmas. Besides new ipod & iphone to pay for yet ;):D

9. zero2dash thread starter macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

MRU -
    the 65nm 360s will only have a 65nm cpu at first but still have the 90nm gpu.

*this is key because the gpu is the failing component due to heat*

While the 65nm cpu will lessen the overall heat in the system, the gpu will still have the same problems and more than likely eventually overheat, causing an RoD.

No word as to when ATi will roll out the 65nm gpu chips...sometime next year/TBD is all I've seen reported. :eek:

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Fair enough then. If that's the case I can't seen any point waiting. Especially with the ubiquitous 3 year warranty anyway.

11. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I wonder if there is some clause that this only applies to consoles already sold at the time of the announcment, and not newer systems like the falcon.

12. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

The updated terms just states 3 years for three red lights from date of purchase so it seems that new purchases since announcement are included as well.