Petition against Adobe pricing in Europe

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by groovebuster, Apr 16, 2007.

1. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

2. superted666 Guest

superted666

Signed!

4k odd signatures so far.
    Adobe made my badlist with there recent pricing

3. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

The pricing is horrendous. Adobe is supporting piracy.

4. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Exactly. Maybe bittorrent will do what any number of petitioners may not be able to. When Adobe finds out that tens of thousands decided to pay $0, they'll decide to lower their prices. We'll see.

5. satty macrumors 6502

It was 5007 when I signed.

6. groovebuster thread starter macrumors 65816

groovebuster

More than 5k of pissed people already! When you convert that to potentially sold copies, that's a lot of shmackaroos! ;-)

groovebuster

7. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

8. groovebuster thread starter macrumors 65816

groovebuster

Maybe some of our american fellows can show a little bit of solidarity and sign the petition as well?

I know, it does not concern you in first place, but on the long run it will be also for your best, if companies like Adobe can not just do what they want and screw their users over... Maybe next time it will be you...

groovebuster

P.S.: 5,420 and counting...

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I signed it.

Those pricks, it makes me want to pirate it out of sheer principle. ;-)

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yeah, I signed it too. This whole thing of "it's more expensive because of the different languages and marketing" blah blah is such bull****. Just as bad as Microsoft claiming they don't keep up with currency fluctuations and that's why Vista is twice the price in the UK.

Wankers, every single one of them.

Apples pricing is crappy too.

Argh :mad:

11. groovebuster thread starter macrumors 65816

groovebuster

The sad part is... it probably will not change anything... but it is worth a try...

groovebuster

12. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Whilst I firmly believe that online petitions achieve absolutely nothing (sorry) I have signed this. I bought a legal copy of CS2 (second hand) to enable me to upgrade to CS3 and an quite disappointed at the prices. Does anyone know (100%) if you can buy a US copy and register it in the UK?

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Thought I should pipe in again and say that I too expect this to achieve nothing (unfortunately), but it makes me feel better having signed it anyway.

<stomps feet>

14. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

It seems to me that the way to go is simply to import the software from a US-based seller. I believe both the North American and European versions have identical language support.

Major sellers like Amazon sometimes have contractual agreements not to export, so you might have to find a smaller store or go through eBay.

15. SMacDuff macrumors 6502

SMacDuff

I got an e-mail last week telling about the Edu discounts available to us here in Sweden (Stockholm) and the discount is for 80% off the regular price. That sounds great until you see that the regular price for Adobe CS3 Design Premium Student Edition is 22000 kr (roughly $2200US)! With the discount, it is only $360US but that is still alot of money for a student to fork out.

16. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

As you can see from my post above I am seriously considering this. An upgrade to Web Premium is £539. The same software in the US is around $500 which is currently around £250. Assuming I'd not have to pay US sales tax (as I'd be buying from out of state) then even if I had to be a total import+VAT tax burdon of 100% I'd be well in!

17. lavem macrumors member

lavem

18. groovebuster thread starter macrumors 65816

groovebuster

We are at 8788...

Can Adobe really ignore this? Hmm... [​IMG]

groovebuster

19. BackInTheSaddle macrumors regular

BackInTheSaddle

Much Ado about Nothing

Methinks this is all rather silly. There are almost always pricing disparities between the USA and other nations, particularly when you are talking about computer products.

Back in my former life as a support manager, we frequently paid very large premiums for our products. I can't use the actual names but for an example, an item purchased from Company X might be priced at 20% off list under our corporate discount agreeement. The same product purchased for our European Design Centre in the UK (not even localized, the EXACT SAME product mind you) would cost 20% OVER list. So, if the list price was $100 USD, our USA price would be $80, while our friends in the UK would pay $120, or a 50% price increase. This happened all the time with virtually every workstation and/or software item we bought.

I'm not saying the pricing differences are necessarily fair; however, I am saying it is not all that uncommon. However, Adobe doesn't operate in a vacuum so in the end competition, piracy, eBay sales, government red tape, cost of doing business in a market, etc. will dictate the prices.

There are times when it is much cheaper to buy products in a foreign market that at home. I experienced that when I went to Japan...things like some electronic products and even scotch were far less than I could get them for in Chicago. And also think about pharmaceuticals...these are often times far less costly in Canada, Mexico and other places than at home.

It just strikes me as ridiculous that when this type of situation happens, so many people assume it must be the result of corporate greed than many other more likely factors.

If Adobe was charging LESS in Europe, we'd be hearing whining about how they were stifling competition, blah blah blah :p

20. groovebuster thread starter macrumors 65816

groovebuster

Your point is...?

We are talking about a little bit more than just 40$ difference...