Petition: Bring Back MagSafe

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JTK28, Nov 9, 2016.

1. JTK28 macrumors member

My biggest gripe with new macbook pro is the lack of magsafe.

Lack of ports and using adapters is annoying but computer ports improve and change all the time. That's just the way things are.

The touch bar doesnt excite me, but apple is trying something new. i can't really criticize them for trying.

However going from a magsafe computer to a non-magsafe computer is not an improvement at all. MagSafe has saved my computer so many time. Ive tripped over cords. my dog has tripped over cords. it happens, but my computer has never crashed to the ground.

I dont understand this decision at all.

Apple if you're listening, bring back magsafe or make things right with your customers and give them a free magsafe adapter.

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Lol where are you routing the cable that you and your dog keep tripping over it? Perhaps do a little 'risk analysis' before starting work each day, that HR person who made you sit through that day of Health & Safety would be super proud!

The decision is it just wasn't necessary. USB-C can provide charging so you don't need a separate charging port. Yes I too will miss the MagSafe, just because it's nice, but there's no need to have multiple ways of doing the same thing. Apple really like 'elegance', and so with the choice being simplicity or redundancy, they chose elegance.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I'll miss MagSafe, of course. It's a simple yet effective idea. Though for the times that I've had a wealth of other peripherals plugged in, I can't see how it'd make a difference. Trip over one cable and the laptop will still tumble down.

If you think of the nMBP as a portable workstation, it makes a little more sense. You have everything set up at your desk like your external monitors, external HDDs, DACs, instruments, mix desk, or whatever your alternative is — then all that springs to life when you plug in just ONE cable into ONE of the four TB3 ports, whilst also charging the laptop. When you need to go, unplug one cable and you're gone. Effortlessly jumping from one station to another.

The only times it truly comes in handy is when you've only got the charger in and nothing else. Yet if you find yourself in that position more often than not (I'm perfectly guilty of this), people tend to question what you're actually doing, and why you needed a MacBook Pro to do it.

4. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

MagSafe in a USB C cable doesn't make sense, especially when it has the potential to be fulfilling multiple functions at the same time.

MagSafe will be missed, but I view it as a necessary sacrifice.

5. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I really like MagSafe, and I am certainly sad to see it is being discontinued.

That said, the ability to plug in a charger on either side of the laptop is appealing to me. I always hated that in some situations you had to run the cable around the side of the Macbook, where the MagSafe port was always on the left but the AC plug might to to your right.

It may be safe-ish too. First, this will cause fewer kinked cables. Second, by allowing you to always have the charger plugged in on the side from where the charging cable is coming from, if someone trips, it should come out of the computer more easily than if the cable was bent at an angle. Also, it should waste less of the cable length by not having to run around the side of your computer.

This may not eliminate the risk of someone tripping over your charger cable, but it does reduce it a bit compared to traditional chargers. Still not as good as MagSafe of course.

6. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

I don't see why they couldn't have both MagSafe and USB C charging on the same MacBook.

Make MagSafe great again!

7. Rian Gray macrumors regular

Rian Gray

I'm sure if there is enough demand for it, some other 3rd party dongle will be available; a pack of two dongles, one for laptop and the other for charger. But at the same time, it sounds redundant. Often, when I needed magsafe the most, it was because the charging port is fixed on one side, so I have to run the cable around the computer, making the cables a good hook for people to trip over. That won't happen with USB-C, however.

But at the same time, if Apple chooses to bring it back somehow, even with a simple 2 dongle package, I might as well purchase one just for the sake of it.

8. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

1 vote for MagSafe.
    (And another vote for the glowing Apple logo).

9. jerryk, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016

jerryk macrumors 68030

Someone posted a picture of a USB-C dongle/connector that had a magnetic breakaway. When the cable gets caught the part in the ports stays connected and rest of the cable disconnects. Just buy one of these.

Also USB-C cables are thicker so they should not fray as easily and last longer than the spaghetti cable they use on the magsafe.

10. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Griffin one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Griffin-BreakSafe-Magnetic-USB-C-Cable/dp/B01CQTK6GU I may pick one up but will hold until I know it works with the new MBP.

11. Aditya_S macrumors 6502

12. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

This is what I was about to post. Mag Safe wasn't a better solution than usbc. Sorry. You don't always need to be tethered to a wall.

13. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Yeah that was my fear... I don't think there's many devices using the full 100W of USB-C at the moment, so cheaper cables and stuff are aplenty. Hopefully soon people will start making proper ones to capitalise on the MBP line.

14. KALLT macrumors 601

I think it is a huge shame as well that they got rid of it and I expected something of a magnetic connector for the charging cable. The idea for this is not new and they could have easily done this, after all, they still provide a charging cable in the box. MacBooks are supposed to be portable and you cannot always contemplate or work around situations where someone could potentially trip over the cable. It is an extremely disappointing development and it would have been rather trivial for them to do something about it.

15. Capt T macrumors 6502a

16. MattSeven macrumors member

In my mind the petitioners take a group photo and they're all crosseyed with club feet.

17. Barnfather macrumors regular

Barnfather

I think with the battery life of the MBP, the view is there is little need to have it constantly plugged in, and instead there will gradually be a move to charge in the same way you would charge your phone, or watch.

I like Magsafe, but to be honest it was unusual to have such a connector in a small laptop, and the added convenience of the 4 ports does make up for it's loss.

18. chabig macrumors 68040

Sixty watts should be plenty for the 15 inch machine most of the time. All you need to prevent battery drain is more power than the machine is using. You don't have to max out the adapter.

19. brojan macrumors member

A magsafe adapter to use the old power supplies on the new usbC would be great.

I have so many old power supplies it would really help with convenience and allow magsafe safety too.

20. jakerumorsmacs macrumors newbie

The fact that we didn't really need to do a "risk analysis" in the first place and do now, is a blatant downgrade. Talking about risk analysis. If anyone is dropping that much coin on a laptop (granted for a label and OS), it should enable them to do MORE, not shy away from taking their laptop to the library because of your "risk analysis" coming to the result of 'unsafe'.
    --- Post Merged, May 24, 2017 ---
    I can see this easily. Absolutely ideal for a lot of people. But, I would like to bring to attention the name of the laptop. MacBook (((PRO))). You NEED adapters to do any kind of professional work, video outs etc. This new MacBook is not for the pro users. It is for the people who need a system as you stated, plug in one cable and get your workstation running. This laptop has a market, but for a lot of pro users who have dedicated iMacs for their workstation, the 2015 13.3 retina was the last generation.
    I respect the point you made about using a pro laptop for light uses (just plugged in), but with my pro, once I download my clips (WITHOUT THE NEED FOR AN ADAPTER), I only need my magsafe when I'm working in Final Cut....

21. leman macrumors 604

Magsafe is nice and all, but the ability of charging from any side I want trumps it in practice.

22. jakerumorsmacs macrumors newbie

I cannot validate adding the risk that average laptops have for getting to charge my laptop on one extra side. Why pay extra for a macbook when you would be risking more money? You get more, of course. But Apple has made their "pro" laptop like cars. Insurance is retarded, and with the magsafe gone they're just as likely to get in an accident as all the other laptops. Your bill is just bigger when it happens.
    And I wouldn't bulls*** the magsafe. I have had it at incredibly bad angles and it pops out every time. In a public/busy setting it just happens. #HoldOnTight to your 2016 MacBook "Pro's" people.
    --- Post Merged, May 24, 2017 ---
    "any side" being literally two sides v.s one... I would say you're doubling the risk of someone ripping your 1,299.99+ laptop from you on accident walking by, but with magsafe it was basically zero in the 7 years I've owned macbooks. On a risk scale, new macbook is level with everyone else with a charger relying on friction between the metal. Level... with a $200 chromebook. Embarrassing. :apple:

23. leman macrumors 604

Sure, its only "two sides", but this means that I can always plug my power in with as little inconvenient cable routing as possible — this is a noticeable quality of life improvement that I experience every day. Not to mention that having data and power port unified means that I only need to plug in a single port when I get to the office — again, a noticeable quality of life improvement (as I need to move around with my laptops a dozen or two times per day on average) .

Double of zero is still zero :) On a more serious note, magsafe doesn't work that well with lighter laptops (if your machine weights just north of 1kg, a magnetic latch does not always disconnect) and having magsafe does not license you for carelessness. You wrote above that you didn't need to do risk analysis, well that's false. Its just wrong sense of security. Once you take care of proper cable placement and don't leave your laptop in dangerous positions, you pretty much eliminate any damage risk due to tripping on cables. Of course, Magsafe in such a situation bring this risk to practically zero. But again, is this extra safety margin worth all the advantages that come with a unified power/data port? Not according to me and my experience.

Put it simply: I can't really remember a single instance where Magsafe would save my computer. But using the new ports results in more comfort for me every single day. On the other had, what I remember is magsafe cable constantly getting damaged at the power adapter and annoying disconnects because i would move my leg awkwardly and pull the cable or try to move the laptop on the desk and again pull the cable. So no, I don't miss Magsafe.

24. dilutedq macrumors regular

No thanks.

USB-C is better than magsafe.