Petition Seeks UK Apology for Treatment of Alan Turing

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mkrishnan, Sep 1, 2009.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This has been going on for a few weeks, but I just heard about it, and it doesn't seem to have gotten a thread yet.

Good cause du jour, especially if you are a citizen of the crown.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/09/01/alan.turing.petition/?imw=Y

The UK petition: http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/turing/?showall=1
    The INT petition: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/worldturingpetition/index.html

2. bartelby macrumors Core

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Signed up.

It was disgusting the way they treated him. :mad:

4. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, I signed the international petition of support... we should never pass up on an opportunity to correct an injustice.

5. remmy macrumors 6502a

6. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Its sad that this petition/ apology will not change what happened to this man. :(
    EDIT: Signed INT petition.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Signed it. An apology may not reverse things but its good to accept responsibility.

28'000 signatures now.

8. Carl Abudephane, Sep 6, 2009
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
  9. Vster macrumors 6502

Signed. Sad and disgusted by they way he was treated.

10. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

11. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

signed, seems to be the way the english government seem to treat people that actually do and have helped this country out in some way, ( lockerbie bomber walks free for instance ) :mad:

12. nick9191 macrumors 68040

A disgusting and shameful era of Britain.

Nevertheless, I don't feel the UK Government should apologise, since it wasn't the current administration that did it. It wasn't even the same political party (Churchill and the Tories). Brown should certainly come out and say that it was wrong and disgraceful, but an apology from him would be like him apologising for Mary 1st killing Protestants 400 years ago.

If there has to be an apology, then it should come from Cameron since it was the Conservatives that did it.

13. noaccess macrumors 6502

Signed. Reading about this a few years ago saddened me a great deal, what the govt. did to him was absolutely sickening. Glad to see people are demanding an apology.

14. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is this not done the world over? Just in recent years... Japan's government made (in its case, minimal) apologies for war atrocities committed during WWII by people who are predominantly dead now. The US government apologized for Tuskegee even though most of the individuals who decided to do such a thing are dead. The Pope apologized on behalf of the Church for actions taken during WWII...

I don't think an apology is an admission of personal guilt in this case... no one thinks this is Gordon Brown's fault (he has plenty of his own cock-ups to answer for), but in most of the world it's generally seen as right that it's the government's place, being the same institution that existed 60 years ago, that should apologize, even though the people are different.

15. mbpnewbie macrumors regular

I don't get it.... Dude died 50 + years ago and NOW they want an appology?!?! I will reserve my judgement on homosexuals as I have been temporarily banned in the past for posting my opinions about this subject....

16. djellison macrumors 68020

IT is - and I still don't see the point in it. It's possibly the most hollow, empty gesture one can imagine.

What was done was wrong, tragic, but can not be taken back.

Let us, instead, celebrate the guys achievements with exhibitions, celebration and inspiration for the next generation of scientists and engineers.

17. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

We should certainly do that, yeah, but it seems to me that, although sometimes it is particularly hollow, in other times, it's really important to members of oppressed groups....

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Signed. Yes, it may be a gesture, but sometimes, gestures are the only way one can express how one thinks and what one feels about something. It is important to take a stance, sometimes. In any case, even if one cannot undo the injustices of the past, it is important to express regret. That way, at least, one may learn some lessons from what happened, and insist that this path not be taken in ther future, rather than seek to replicate it.

Alan Turing was an absolute genius - take a look at the British movie about his life made around 10-15 years ago - the wonderful British actor Derek Jacobi played the part of Turing - and his treatment was an appalling reflection of the blind prejudice and sheer injustice which informed the values of the society in which he lived. He should have been feted and honoured, instead of hounded and humiliated.

Cheers

19. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Signed.

Turing is a man who should not be forgotten, ever.

20. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

Actually from what I understand of the issue (Turing was tried for performing a homossexual act, found guilty and then forced to take testosterone to "cure" him which ultimately lead to his suicide), the kind of attitude towards homosexualtity was similar worldwide:

link

21. djellison macrumors 68020

I still don't get why people want an apolgy, today.

The people to blame for the opression of homosexuals 60 years ago, are dead. Turing, tragically early, is dead.

No politician of government today should be apologising for what happened 60 years ago. It's utterly utterly meaningless and, to be honest, detracts from the lessons learnt.

Homosexuals were treated dreadfully back then - unforgivable, infact. Saying "oops - sorry" 60 years later doesn't make that treatment go away. It doesn't make it better. It's almost like people are trying to draw a line under it and make it go away.

An 'apology' doesn't make what happened any better. I felt the same way when the government attempted to apologise for the slave trade, and the Vatican apology for Galileo. Utterly utterly pointless and to be honest, insulting to the memories of those that have suffered.

It's modern politicians and statesmen trying to get a popularity and publicity boost by seing people disgusted with acts long in the past and basically, issuing an 'apology' to say "Yes, this was bad, wasn't it".

Yes it was - but it's NOTHING to do with you. Get on with your job and make damn well sure you're not doing something people will want an apology for in 2069.

My respect and admiration for Turing knows no bounds - and my disgust at things done to him and others at the time is immesurable. I don't want to see a meaningless empty 'apology' for the treatment of Alan Turing. I want to see a charitable organisation setup to fund higher education for the unprivileged in STEM subjects, in Turing's honour. Something meaningful, honorable, and purposeful.

22. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Signed. (UK)

He wasn't just treated disgustingly, he was someone who had made a major, major contribution to the war effort, and was shafted for it.

All modern computers are Turing machines, and in 1999 he was named one of Time Magazine's 100 Most Important People of the 20th Century.

I was going to say, I'd rather he was given an award, not an apology, but wiki says he was given the OBE in secret for his war effort. Maybe another, more public, award would be appropriate.

I didn't know he was a keen long distance runner, and sometimes ran the 40 miles down to London when he was summoned there for high-level meetings. Rather him than me :eek:

23. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

NEWSFLASH

30 mins (literally) after I signed the petition, Gordon Brown (UK Prime Minister) has released an official apology to Alan Turing. BBC news says it was a direct result of this internet petition. Nice!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8249792.stm

24. neilg macrumors member

25. bartelby macrumors Core

Bloody hell!

You're one hell of an influential person!!:D

It's good news though.