Petition to include 'number blocking' feature.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacBoobsPro, Sep 17, 2010.

?

Add a 'block number' feature to iPhone

1. Please add a 'Block number' feature on the iPhone.

21 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. I like Liver and Onions.

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Recently I have been getting nuisance calls from a specific number and went about looking for an option to block that number. I thought an iPhone that allows me to go fishing, track aircraft, watch live TV, tell me where I am and has a 'Stocks' app would let me do that. Turns out it doesnt!

I went to the app store to get an app to block numbers. Apparently there's 'an app for everything'; turns out, there isn't.

So I called O2 to block the number. All they can offer is a change of number which is not really an option.

Now I'm here - after doing a search and finding similar posts but with no real 'balls' attached - I decided to make a thread that can work as a petition to get the feature added. Once its built up I'll send it to Apple (somehow).

So if like me you would like a simple 'Block Number' option in your call log. Post your frustrations below and answer the poll - DO IT!

2. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

There is something like this, jailbreak your phone and install iBlacklist. If theres ever a feature you think apple should have put in, chances are someone did for a jailbroken phone

3. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Wow first post :rolleyes:

I don't want to Jailbreak it. Lets get that out of the way right now!

No Jailbreaking!

4. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

are you sure there isn't an app for that? Android has an app for that. Since I don't own and Iphone anymore and just a touch and can't test out the app in the app store you speak of.

5. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

If there is then thats great but I looked and cant find one. If anyone can find one (for non jailbroken iPhones) please let me know.

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I doubt there'd be an app for it, with the current App Store guidelines, I don't think Apple would have accepted an app that is capable of taking over the entire device to block numbers.

7. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

Just pay the bill and the phone calls will stop. :D

8. Mr dj mo macrumors member

Why dont you just change you're number?!?!?

If you getting nusance calls you're phone operator should change your number for free.

9. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

A) I shouldn't have to.

B) I don't want to.

3) It would be a massive headache; I have hundreds of contacts.

4) I have printed stationery that cost a lot to print.

Giraffe) What happens when I start getting other nuisance calls? I can't keep simply changing my number.

Its actually a scam company trying to get me to call them back and then charge me a ****load for the privilege.

The number is (UK - Wales to be precise) 01267 493101.

If you get a call from them and answer they will hang up, prompting you to call them back to see who they are.

They also leave voice mails to get you to call them.

I get about 3 a day. Google '01267 493101' and you will see its quite 'big'.

The option to block numbers would be good as when a cold call comes in you could block that number so they cant contact you again which invariably happens about a month later.

10. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I don't have any use for it.

11. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I didnt until this started happening. It could happen to you too. There are hundreds of people being bothered by this number alone.

Dont you think it would be nice to be able to block a cold call once you had the first one and said "im not interested" but they still try and call you further down the line?

Its kind of like junk mail filtering for the phone. :)

12. macfanrutler macrumors regular

macfanrutler

Your other option is to move to the US. Then you will be "protected" by the FCC. $10,000 fine for each phone call from the company.

13. Adisah macrumors regular

Look into getting Google Voice and use that to block the number.

14. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Again I shouldn't need to. It should be a simple feature on the phone.

15. dave420 macrumors 65816

I know this doesn't apply to you, but here AT&T will block a number for you for $5 a month. The first month is free, which is probably long enough to stop the calls.

16. jbro1999 macrumors regular

What is so bad about jailbreaking and installing iBlacklist? It would take 5 minutes. It would solve your problem and you wouldn't have to deal with those calls.

I just don't understand the "no jailbreaking" thing. I'm not jailbroken now, but if I had people calling me I didn't want I would get iBlacklist asap.

17. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

As long as the caller is in the US.

We have the same in Canada, and I get telemarketers from Mexico and the US calling in cause our DNC list isn't applicable to other countries

18. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Since you don't want to jailbreak. The only advise I can offer you is to setup a ringtone with no sound for that specific number. That way at least when you get the call you don't have to hear it. Won't affect vibrate, but if I had to pick I'd rather deal with vibrate over the actual ringing.

I used iBlacklist since I can remember. I hate having to depend on jailbreak though, I say do it!

19. Godzirra macrumors 6502

Somewhere on Salisbury plain, and Apple, UK
    This /\ /\

I had the same thing with nuisance calls, and downloaded a silent ringtone (google is your friend). I don't call them back to find out who they are, because if they want to contact me that bad, they can send a text or leave a voicemail.

I've now got a contact called Blocked, and any number that is nuisance, cold calling or anything like that, now gets added to 'Blocked', and they all have the silent tone.

Simples :)

20. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

I would love a feature like this built in....It's one of the reasons I jailbreak.

Does AT&T have any stock phones with stock software that have this feature built in?

If they allow it on other phones, then it's something Apple could add without being a big deal, but I'm afraid AT&T would rather make the extra $5 per month to do it the way they already have set up.....

21. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I'm aware of the silent ringtone 'workaround' but that really isn't me. You still have to deal wit the missed call masseages and then clear them from the log. While thats not a big effort, I really shouldnt have to. Thats my point.

Why can't Apple simply include this little feature? They have Rules for email in Mail why not for your phone? Its still people 'spamming' you just in a different form. We should be able to protect ourselves from it.

From a few posts here alone it seems some people have specifically Jailbroken just to use iBlacklist. Theres definitely a need/want for this feature.

From what I have read I believe (correct me if im wrong) only Samsung phones have this feature built in (regardless of carrier). Even ancient models.

22. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

I'd like the ability to block numbers too, I have had certain issues with ex-girlfriends that would have been far easier if it were possible to simply block incoming calls.

I'd also like liver and onions, your poll is broken sir.

23. dave420 macrumors 65816

There are a lot of features that people jailbreak for. For me, I just want custom SMS tones. I think Apple gives priorities to what the most people want. They probably also take into consideration features other phones have. Number blocking isn't a common feature in phones that I know of. If they added every feature that everyone wanted then it would really start to add up fast.
    Don't get me wrong, I think number blocking would be cool.

24. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

If you like Liver and onions and want the block number feature post a 'X' below. :D

I forgot about SMS tones. Everyone I know that has an iPhone (thats alot :rolleyes: ) wants to be able to choose an SMS tone, but yet years down the line Apple still havent provided the option. They say they listen to what people want but I beg to differ. Just look at the new ATV; wheres the friggin 1TB drive?