Petition: Update Microsoft Microsoft Messenger for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stephenc92, Jun 19, 2007.

1. stephenc92 macrumors regular

stephenc92

The Microsoft Network (MSN) is one of the largest online messaging networks available. Its Windows software versions have media rich functions and other exclusive features, which can be carried across the network on multiple platforms. However, the Macintosh version of Messenger is very limited. In fact it only features text chat, whereas the Windows version features video, audio and handwriting.

This petition's aim is to get Microsoft to update their Messenger software for Mac and make MSN a great experience for users on both platforms.

Sign: http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/msnmacupdate

Please Digg it here!

2. nadyne macrumors 6502a

We're aware of the shortcomings of Messenger:Mac -- after all, most of us here in MacBU use it all day, every day. If you'd like to know more about the technical side of developing Messenger:Mac, here's a post from Mac Mojo (the MacBU team blog) that you might find interesting: Messenger: haves and hA/Ve nots.

If you want to tell us about specific features that you'd like to see in Messenger as soon as possible, you can submit feedback.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

3. MattJessop macrumors regular

MattJessop

First off, I'd like to thank Nadyne for responding to this post :), It;s nice to actually have some input from a developer for once.

I think that as they mentioned, the Mac Business Unit does realise that MSN:Mac isn't quite as feature rich as it's Windows counterpart. However, this I would assume is down mostly to their development on Office:2008 and although I'm not sure how big their team is, they don't have a seperate development team for MSN Messenger/Live Messenger I don't think.

Anyway, it would be really amazing to get a Messenger that combines the features of the Windows one (sans adverts) and the clean interface of Aqua :)

4. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

well at least msn:mac has final versions. I've been waiting on yahoo 3 passing beta one for over a year so they could finally add sound support.

5. nadyne macrumors 6502a

I'm not just a Mac developer, I'm also a Mac geek. :) I've got a total of six Macs at home, and another three sitting on my desk at the office.

MacBU in total is ~180 people, which covers all of our apps and all disciplines (development, test, program management, user experience (that's me!), marketing, user assistance, etc). Each of our apps has a dedicated team associated with it, although we're agile enough to shift folks around when needed.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

6. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

iChat is like 10x better. I'd love to see the Leopard version support MSN/Yahoo! networks.

7. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Rather than get a new version of Messenger, you could always use something like Adium :)

8. stephenc92 thread starter macrumors regular

stephenc92

Thanks for replying. It's nice to see someone at Microsoft listening. I have submitted the feedback form. I would really love to see Mac:Messenger updated to the standards of the Windows one. I would use iChat, but all my friends insist on using Windows and MSN.

Keep up the good work and focus more on the Messenger :)

Edit: I'm having a really annoying problem in the latest version of messenger. Every time I close a chat window, the program crashes and quits. My friend is having the same problem. Some people say it's a virus, but I have scanned with ClamXVAV.

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yes, Adium is awesome, but without video (hopefully we'll get it soon) I'm stuck using the irritating Mercury when I need it.

At least MS:Office looks great, but its taking AGES!

10. Fillado macrumors member

Well, what i'd like to see work on first is file transfers since currently they're a joke having to go through Microsoft's servers. Having both UPnP AND NAT-PMP in Microsoft Messenger would be incredibly useful, as would sharing folders :)

11. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Nowhere near as wanted by most people as videochat...

12. Fillado macrumors member

Yes, but at least they don't have to wait for a shared protocol to be finished on. This is something they can improve on instantly if they wanted to...

Besides I use Skype for voice/video :p

13. hidehide macrumors 6502

Adium is good. But if you are used to WLM.. you dont want to use adium..
    Now I need to run VMware Unify mode JUST for WLM..

14. X5-452 macrumors 6502

X5-452

That's because you're running the new Safari 3 beta. It makes adjustments to webtoolkit, making messenger:mac and other things such as the amazon art widget inoperable.

15. janey macrumors 603

janey

to be anal, it's webkit. installing safari 3 replaces the older framework used by safari 2, so any app that depends on it may have issues. Quite a lot of apps do use webkit, so...

16. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Actually, the feature that i miss the most from Windows Live Messenger is the sharing folders. I couldn't care less about video chat. None of my friends or their friends ever uses video chat. In fact, i don't personally know anyone who uses video chat, although i'm sure that people with overseas relatives can find it useful.

17. momefarley macrumors newbie

What about Nudge? We've not been able to completely switch yet, and I'm at home with a PC, and my hubby is at school studying with the Mac. I'd like to be able to alert him when I need to chat about something.

18. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Instead of Messenger:Mac, perhaps Microsoft should just develop some sort of plug-in for iChat that supports video, similar to Flip4Mac.

19. tomoisyourgod macrumors regular

I've downloaded it, it's brilliant!! Thanks for posting that legendary comment it's well better than MSN! It actually delivers and recieves messages and doesn't sign me out every 5 mins!

Yeh sack off MSN petition and use Adium!