Pets - Community ? of the week #8

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mscriv, Aug 17, 2009.

1. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Hey Everyone,

Sorry about the brief hiatus, work has been crazy and my weekends have been slammed with family stuff. Anyhow, here's the next community question of the week.

It's said that you can learn a lot about a person by the company they keep. So, tell us about "the company you keep" of the animal persuasion. What type of pets do you have? Give us everything, the who, what, when, where, and why.

We have two cats in my family. Puffkin and Oscar.

Puffkin, short for Rumplepuffkin, is a beautiful female long hair calico. We found her when she was about 8 weeks old at a DJ gig I did in Memphis seven years ago. The security guard for the facility hosting the event had caught her and didn't know what to do. My wife, who was my fiancee at the time, immediately took her, promising me, the asthmatic with lots of allergies, that we would take her to the shelter if we couldn't find her a good home. Well, after a week of cleaning her up we were hooked. I think the moment for me was washing her in the sink and then manually picking the fleas from around her head with tweezers. Those soft and trusting little eyes, mixed with the sweet little "meeeuuuuws" was all it took for me to be smitten. Of course now, she's a princess who thinks she owns the house.

Oscar is an orange and white male short hair with two different colored eyes. My wife found him one morning at work. She was approaching her building and heard these pitiful little cries coming from a trash can. She went over and looked inside to find a small plastic bag where someone had sealed a tiny kitten and left it for dead. :mad: So, what does she do? Well, of course, she puts him in a box and brings him to my office so I can watch him the rest of the day at work. Obviously, my place of business would be more "animal friendly" than hers. You gotta love how women think. ;) He was only about 4 weeks old and naturally was an instant hit with my coworkers. I knew there was no point in arguing when she started in with the "Puffkin needs a little brother" comments. We appropriately named him Oscar after the Sesame Street character who lives in what? Yes, a garbage can. Now, 5 years later, he's fat, laid back, and quite demanding when he wants to be petted.

They truly are the odd couple with very differing personalities. He's now bigger than her and occasionally plays rough which is delightful since she can shriek like a wailing banshee. It sounds like someone is skinning her alive and will startle any guest we have around who has never heard it before. All in all they are great to have around and we are enriched by having them in our lives. I know some will disagree, but it's truly hard to beat the comfort and companionship you feel from a purring cat sitting on your lap. Or your head, depending on the cat's mood. :D

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Used to have a dog but had to put her down last year. I look after my granparents dog when they're off on holiday. She's a right sensitive little thing, has to sleep in the same room (under my bed infact, and it's a very low bed!). And scared by just about any noise.
    But she's a great little thing and has an obsession with snow, she digs out little holes in deep snow and just sits in them :confused:.
    [​IMG]

3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Diz iz mah kitteh.
    His name is Oliver. He's about 3 months old.
    He likes Salmon and dislikes water.
    Also he likes to chew clean through my Xbox Live headsets. :mad:

[​IMG]

4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

5. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

^^^ Your kitteh has dah beer, mah kitteh has dah Xbox. Party me thinks.

6. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

[​IMG]

My cat, the world's biggest jerk. Yeah I said it. I love the little dick but he does nothing but cause trouble. He bites me toes while I sleep, knocks over anything he finds, eats plants, wrecks blinds... my parents won't even look after him anymore when I go away since he bit my dad and pissed on their door... *sigh* But yeah... I wouldn't get rid of him for anything.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I just have a husband. :p

I do love animals though (have had lots over the years) and one day when it's more appropriate for us to have them we certainly will. :) It's already been promised that when we get a house (currently in a flat) and a fenced outdoors space we'll get a golden retriever. <3

9. bartelby macrumors Core

photo.jpg
    Here's Loki and Caleb (from left).

Loki is 3 and a fluffy pain in the arse. Caleb is 7 and a grumpy old man.
    Together they can be trouble, but they're also great fun.

10. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

raggedjimmi: that ball of snow covered fluffiness is adorable. It's funny he's so jumpy.

Unspoken Demise: Get him his own headset and he might leave yours alone.

Sdashiki: It's no too late to get him some help. Feline addiction is a terrible disease to watch.

sikkinixx: The pic is great. You can almost hear him saying, "What's your problem? Don't make me come out of this bag!"

iBlue: I can read between the lines Blue. Although we're technically not of the animal persuasion I guess to a woman the husband is definitely "a pet".

bartelby: those are beautiful dogs.

11. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Someone needs to think about their kitty disposal methods. That is just cruel. Glad your wife could save him.

My cats are over 10 years old. We had one that lived to be 19 years old. She could not poop by herself. It would get stuck on the way out. She was white, black and gold

Holly is a grey kitty and is so cute. I love her so much. She likes to run away from you when she is outside. The key to catching her is to walk up to her slowly. If you charge at her she will run to the woods in our back yard. Her nickname is Clawball because she has the sharpest claws you have ever seen. She is a weapon in disguise.

Ally Cat is a big, orange male who sheds like crazy. Hence his nickname Furball. You could get so much fur off of him just by petting him you could make another cat. He has kidney problems so he can not have much protein. He must weigh twice what Clawball weighs. He was named Alexander until my brother came along. He took his name and he says he is named after a cat.

Holly has the Computer
    [​IMG]

Here is furball:

Attached Files:

12. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

A couple of years ago after my "step-cat" had to be put down, my wife and I agreed on dogs this time. I'm not a big cat person, and my wife likes both cats and dogs. So we set start to set money aside to fence the backyard in, and my wife shows me some pictures of a pair of beagles in West Virginia.

Needless to say, they are ours now and we picked up a third beagle. These three buggers have been great therapy for the whole family.

He's the post I made in the "Picture Gallery" version of this same thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=6517107&postcount=1222

13. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Enjoying this thread! Liking all the cats and dogs.

That photo of Obi is too much! That might be the cutest beagle I've ever seen.

14. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Look at those two! The cuteness is overwhelming! *squeeeeeeee* :) :) :)

15. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I've wanted a dog since I can remember, but my parents weren't pet people, and then my adult life wasn't suited to pet ownership until this past December. I finally moved into a pet-friendly building, and was well enough to be able to walk and care for a dog.

This is Buddy. He came from a local Bichon Frisé rescue, who got him from the shelter, completely emaciated and so matted that they had to shave him to the skin. :( He ended up having multiple infections and illnesses when I took him, but he's now a healthy, muscular, and charming people dog. I love him to death, and he makes me laugh every single day.

[​IMG]

He got a mohawk for the summer. :p

16. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Two cats. Both are about 14 years old, both long fur.

One is a tuxedo and is the best cat I've ever had - sweet, docile, loves to be held; The other is a tabby, and he's the smartest cat I've ever had - he who I taught to open doorknobs, sit, beg, and wax-on wax-off and paint the fence (from the Karate Kid). I sometimes call him Mr. Meowgi (get it?), in reference to that.