Petty annoyances

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stinkey diver, Jun 10, 2009.

1. stinkey diver macrumors newbie

So im in a program, lets say textedit. Go to open a file and in the open file window it shows not only text files, but everything else. pdfs, mp3s etc.. since when can textedit open a mp3? Is there anyway to change this? Its very annoying! No ******** answers please.

2. portent macrumors 6502a

Don't use TextEdit?

Most other programs, including Word, OpenOffice, and TextWrangler, let you filter file types. TextEdit doesn't. TextEdit is a pretty limited application all around; you're probably better off switching to something else...anything else...depending on what you want to do.

If you do open an MP3 or PDF in TextEdit, you'll see the binary data from the file rendered as text. Which is sometimes useful for extracting raw data from certain types of non-text when they're corrupted or when you don't have the correct program to open them. (That's also why Word and TextWrangler and such let you choose from "All files" if you wish.)

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

4. stinkey diver thread starter macrumors newbie

Its not just text edit. Same with VLC also and allot of other apps. I thought this would be more like a system setting not local application. Spotlight is good but it also gets annoying. For instance, if i search for a pdf and find it in spot light and open it, it will open the pdf with the search i entered in spotlight in the search field and search the pdf document for that name. That's a pain.