pgf in local texmf does not work

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by arturas, Oct 5, 2008.

1. arturas macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I have installed fink as well as tetex distribution on my mac (leopard). the tetex package in fink contains a prehistoric version of pgf/tikz package (v1.0.1), while use some features from the pgf that requires a lot newer version. I tried to install a fresher version (v2.00) of pgf into my local texmf directory, however pdflatex includes the old one :-(

Here's what I did in detail:
    - unzipped pgf into ~/Library/texmf/tex (for example, pgf.sty is in ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/pgf/basiclayer/pgf.sty)
    - reran texhash as root. Got the following as output:

texhash: Updating /Users/name/Library/texmf/ls-R...
    texhash: Updating /sw/etc/texmf-config/ls-R...
    texhash: Updating /sw/share/texmf/ls-R...
    texhash: Updating /sw/share/texmf-dist/ls-R...
    texhash: Updating /sw/share/texmf-local/ls-R...
    texhash: Updating /sw/var/lib/texmf/ls-R...

However if I try to compile a latex document, pdflatex still takes the tikz and pgf from the system, and not from my local directory.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
    arturas

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Seems like a path problem to me. Did you remove the old version?

3. arturas thread starter macrumors newbie

I left the old version. Removing the old version requires dropping directories from multiple places and does not look trivial. In addition, two pgf versions should perfectly be able to live together (in fact I have an old and the most fresh copy on my linux box)

4. Mathoche macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I'm running into the very same problem as this user did some years ago.
    Let me recap:
    I use tetex with fink (latest version of both fink and tetex), I downloaded the latest version of pgf/tikz in my private library for latex (Users/mathoche/latex/utils/), ran texhash.
    When running, latex does not seem to find the correct path to pgfcore.
    Weird since it easily finds the other files (which are not in the pgf tree, but at the root of latex/utils/), so that I don't think it is a path problem.

What can I do to make it work?
    Thanks

5. Mathoche macrumors newbie

Well, I installed it manually (each folder -context, generic, plain and latex- into /sw/share/texmf-dist), as described in user guide for the compliant installation, and it works well.
    Then it doesn't answer why the quick install (dropping the pgf folder where it can be found by latex) doesn't work, and I'm mot sure if I should tell fink about this "package", and how.
    Hope to have helped someone here, and if anyone has some clue, please tell me!