Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Questions

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
I have my internal hard drive (running 10.5) encrypted with PGP Whole Disk on my internal hard disk. I want to buy a new Mac and I have a full backup.

Can I remove my internal drive, put it in an enclosure, connect it to another Mac with PGP installed, and mount it as a standard PGP encrypted whole disk?

mintimperial69

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2010
Pgp Wde Hdd

Yes this is a common use case.

As long as you have the passphrase for the encrypted, drive and have PGP Desktop WDE installed on the system you are planning to do the accessing with this should be fine.

The disk is encrypted to an AES256 key that is stored in multiple locations on the drive for resilience, this key is then protected with your WDE passphrase - so if you have the passphrase you can access the disk. Obviously, when working with any EncryptinessTM, it is good practice to back up your critical data - at least until you have verified that you have access with your new configuration. ;)

The KB at https://pgp.custhelp.com/ has a lot of useful info on this an other procedures, and dependant on your support contract you could log a web request or call in to get official blessing/guidance for your particular situation.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Minty the Guardhorse

mmatyas

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2008
target mode

You don't need to remove the drive from the old machine. Just put the old machine in target mode after connecting it to the new machine. The version of PGP WDE must be the same on old and new machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.