phantom 50GB of video. Help!

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by jakkw, Sep 15, 2014.

1. jakkw macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I have read a few threads and tried finder searches etc. But my problem is I have taken all the video i can find off my mac but am still being told by about this mac that i have 50GB of video still left on my drive and I can't find it any where. Disk inventory X can't find it either.

Any ideas/ help would be really appreciated.

Jack.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Two ideas... that graphic gets its data from the Spotlight index and if the index is corrupt the graphic will be wrong. Run the command below in Terminal and wait for the reindex to complete, then look at the storage graphic again and see if it looks correct.

Code:
    sudo mdutil -E /
    If it is still wrong, run the command below in Terminal then post up the results. This will show all the base level folders and space used in GB and will include some system folders that those inventory apps don't display.

Code:
    sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g /

3. jakkw thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I tried to run that command but it asks me to anger my password and then won't let me type it in. Any ideas?

thanks again

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

When you get that password prompt you should be able to just type in your login password and hit return, then the command will run.

5. jakkw thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks that worked. I ran the first command and it reset every thing so it was saying i had no pictures video or apps just "other"

I ran the command and no change so reset the machine and now its saying i have 17.5GB of video and 1.71GB of pictures. I know i have a lot more picures than that on the drive.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Do you use Time Machine ? Spotlight might be indexing the HD Time Machine uses.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

After you run that first Spotlight reindex command you need to wait a while for the reindex to finish. Click on the Spotlight icon at the top right and you can see if it still indexing. The storage graphic will still be wrong until the reindex is done.

It sounds like you did not wait for it to finish before you rebooted. I would run the Spotlight reindex command again and wait for it to finish.

8. jakkw thread starter macrumors newbie