Phantom battery usage?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by sunking101, Dec 25, 2014.

1. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Today I have used my phone for 3 or 4 hours max, and my battery percentage would tally with that, but strangely my usage time is a rather whacky 8hrs+. I have background app refresh off, and spotlight off. I do notice in my control centre that 'music' is in the volume slider but confess to having no idea what is accounting for my 8hrs+ of usage time. Can anyone help shed any light?

[​IMG]

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Any Exchange or iCloud email accounts that might be doing some sync operations or perhaps even stuck in some way (I guess without you really realizing it)?

3. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Email, general cellular, random notifications locations all account for usage. And looks like YouTube had some background activity. That battery usage timer is not the gospel anyway and more of a general gauge. Sometimes my phone calls don't show up there at all. May have a 1 hr phone call and usage may show 10 min use. Only accounting for txt or email and such. But email is a likely culprit or iCloud activity like c dm stated.

4. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

Would my battery not be suffering if this was the case? It would appear to me that whatever is working in the background isn't taking too much juice. Not sure though! Have done a hard reset and will see how it goes after charging tonight.

----------

What's the deal with You Tube background activity? The app is closed and I have background app refresh toggled off.

5. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Correct a lot of background activity won't use a lot of battery. Some do tho. As for YouTube, that is strange. I would close it from multitask and reboot. Maybe it was stuck doing something like notifications or recommendations etc. I don't use it very much but never see any background usage on it.

6. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

It would appear that my phone was suffering from the dreaded usage/standby the same issue. A reset of settings cured it.
    It was strange that whichever process was permanently running didn't appear to drain the battery unduly!

[​IMG]

7. chillenandy321 macrumors regular

chillenandy321

I'm having a very similar problem with phone not going standby. My mail and settings app are very high with barely any use.

Attached Files:

8. austriak macrumors regular

Phantom battery usage?

I have noticed that even if you close an app completely, if it is a video or audio app, it will often play the audio while not in use.

If you have not used a video or audio app since noticing this, pull up control center and see if a video or audio app is listed. If so, that is your culprit.

9. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

Delete your email accounts, reset all settings, then input your email accounts again. That should cure things, but bear in mind you'll have to readjust your settings again.

10. chillenandy321 macrumors regular

chillenandy321

Thank you I will try that. Just restored phone again yesterday so like to give it couple days.

11. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Sometimes a simple close of all apps and reboot will resolve this. Next thing I would suggest would be reset network settings then remove email accounts if still have issue. Last would be reset all settings as that takes the most effort. That symptom is typical of hung email account.

12. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

Bizarrely, my problem *started* after resetting network settings.
    It only takes 10 minutes to adjust your settings again after doing a 'reset all settings' procedure.

13. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Yes its not to bad to do and it does solve issues but still some work. Never heard of resetting network settings actually causing this issue. Effectively "reset all" resets network too so not real sure that caused it. Most times it seems to happen during an OTA upgrade of iOS that the mail app gets hung sending/receiving. Anyway the other items are quick and easy and if it works then good, if not then further more involved steps are in order.

14. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

I did an install of 8.1.2 via a DFU restore through iTunes, not OTA, and my problem only started after I reset my network settings four or five days later. I deleted my email accounts, reset all settings, reinstalled my email accounts, and all was well again. Admittedly very strange but it was a simple fix.

15. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Oh well if it was 4 or 5 days later then most likely the network reset had nothing to do with it. Otherwise it would have started immediately. Something else got hung up and caused your issue. FB, twitter or mail are likely culprits. I suspect deleting email accounts was all you would have had to do. Pretty common in past releases of iOS. iOS 8.1 3 is rumored to be coming soon so maybe it will address some of these 8.1.2 woes.